How to import my POI (Points of Interest) to Navigator FREE
  • 107 Comments sorted by
  • Hi Martin,

Is there a way to import POI's/create a MCA file with a Linux PC?

Regards,
    Bodypilot
  • @bodypilot:
    ... use diggerQt with wine on Linux ...
  • I am using Navigator free edition - version 0.9.122 on my Archos tablet with GPS built in.
    Maps etc are all working great.
    I am now trying to get some of my POIs to show.
    On my laptop I have downloaded digger 11 and have created a file xxx.mca.
    I have copied that to my tablet and put it in navigator/images - the same folder that poi.mca is in.
    I have rebooted my tablet and started Navigator but there is no sign of my personal POIs.
    I cannot find any way of 'importing' them - but I understand this should be automatic.
    I also can't see an option to show them or not - i.e. they do not appear in settings/POI types - should they ?
    I look forward to what appears to be a brilliant piece of software.
    Thanks
  • please place it to the navigator\data\ folder
  • Many thanks.
    That has got it onto my map.
    It was also difficult to see because the icon (xxx.png) was only 22 units square so I had to zoom well in before I could see it! I have increased that to 100 and it is good for me.
    I am now away.
    Will set to to convert my POIs and get them installed.
    Many Many thanks
  • Hello,

I use Mapfactor Free for Android and I want install my POI File.

The POI-file is a *.csv file, wich I converted with the digger_11_0_47 Program into a *.mca File.

Here is a example for my *csv-file:

Longitude,Latitude,Description

10.907500,51.734700,"Hotel-Reiterhof Zur Talsperre|Altenbrak-Wendefurth| S. 117 Karte 7A4"

11.778383,51.212000,"Berghotel Zum Edelacker|Freyburg (Unstrut)| S. 246 Karte 7C5"

When I use Mapfactor, the icon is shown on the map and all is o.k.

BUT: When I go to Search -> OVI -> Search Import there is nothing
    :(

I can't see or search the Description of the file...

What is wrong?????? What do I wrong????

I try'd to replace the " and the |  , but nothing was better... It does'nt work... :(

Can anybody help me with this problem???

many thanks...

P.S.:

When I try

Longitude,Latitude,Name,Ort,Karte

10.907500,51.734700,Hotel-Reiterhof Zur Talsperre,Altenbrak-Wendefurth, S. 117 Karte 7A4

11.778383,51.212000,Berghotel Zum Edelacker,Freyburg (Unstrut), S. 246 Karte 7C5

the digger is getting down and does'n work.

What is here wrong???

Sorry, I am a newbie....

:">

• ad acer123 - do you have any text selected to be visible in the map? If not try that.
    The crash (well it should not crash, but ...) ... is probably related to "too many commas", as you use separators from "Name"
    Edit:
    - I can confirm the crash in current version, but the reason is something else ... fix in progress, thanks.
  • Hello,

I run with Navigator on an Android Smartphone.

I tried to import waypoints on my phone using wwwindisch instructions on another thread here, I succeded in finding them on the phone by putting them in the data folder. The only problem is when I try to view them, when I select in Imports under POI I get "No results". What does it means ? Everything goes right at each step and them I got nothing... 

What could have I done wrong ?

Thank you for your help.

• Hi Kolza,
    can you try digger ver 12 ( http://download.mapfactor.com/digger_12.zip), where you can separately select which columns should be visible in the map, which are available for search and which are extra description? Android and version 12.x will work with this output, and for us it is easier to fix, if there is a problem.
    thank you
       Martin

• Hi Martin,

I've got the same problem as kolza. Unfortunately I can't use version 12 of digger because I run Navigator Free on Windows mobile, where version 11 is the latest. mca-files produced by digger 12 do not work at Navigator 11.

Cheers

Jan
  • Hi Jan,
    you can use Navigator Free version 12 (soon we will switch default "download" to ver12).
    regards
       Martin

• Hi Martin,

Hooray! It works.
    Thank you very much, Martin.

Cheers

Jan
  • Hello,
    When I try to use digger,after choosing the source data columns, I always obtain this message

------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Program: c:\digger_12_0_4\diggerQT.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
    unusualway.
    Please contact the application's support for more information

----------------------------------------

What can I do ?
    Thanks for your help,
    sophivan
  • is this file UTF-8?
  • yes I have converted it into UTF-8 with" Simple Text Encoding"
  • if your file is not private, please email it to support, I will test it
  • should I send it to  "support (at) mapfactor.com" ? or else where ?
  • Hello,
    Thank you for your help.
    I do not see what I can do wrong
    In my log-file,I have the same error as JOSHOM in July 2011

ERR 2013/02/02 21:15:20 XPathNode: can not access source file: U:\BATEAUtechnique\navigation\Navi-gratuit\digger_12\digger_12_0_4\import\o\digger_config.xml
    ERR 2013/02/02 21:15:20 XPathNode: can not access source file: U:\BATEAUtechnique\navigation\Navi-gratuit\digger_12\digger_12_0_4\import\o.mca\digger_config.xml

Do you know what was wrong for him ?
    Could it be possible to contact and ask him ?
    Best regards
  • Hello,
    I have changed the icon and now the conversion to mca and import to navigator is OK.
    Thanks again to tomas for his help,
    sophivan
  • Hello, when I use wether Digger 11 or 12 I get an Errormessage: ERR 2013/02/14 20:44:30 XPathNode: can not access source file: G:\N_A_V_I_G_A_T_I_O_N\M_A_P_F_A_C_T_O_R\digger_12\digger_12_0_4\import\Test_S_2\digger_config.xml
    ERR 2013/02/14 20:44:30 XPathNode: can not access source file: G:\N_A_V_I_G_A_T_I_O_N\M_A_P_F_A_C_T_O_R\digger_12\digger_12_0_4\import\Test_S_2.mca\digger_config.xml
    I don´t know how to provide a xml. configuration file, maybe someone can help me, please!
    Best greetings, Alfred
  • Hi Alfred,
    your configuration file probably refers to imports you removed.
    try to delete it (backup first)
    c:\Users\"user"\AppData\Roaming\Navigator\12.0\import\ikon\digger_config.xml
    regards
    Tomas
  • Hello, first thanks for your prompt response. I looked after it, but there is no such file. Neither in my nor in admin account. There is just a file named "setup.log". By the way, I´m having trouble with the placement of the icon relating to then poi. What format must it have and where should it be saved? (I have a seven inch China- Navi with WINCE6) . I tried a simple OV2-File to convert, without icon. Maybe this has something to do with the failure?
    Kind regards! Mapfactor is IMO a gorgious program for free!
    Yours, Alfred
  • which windows do you run?
    files and folders in this location are hidden , you need to select 'show hidden files and folders' in folder options
  • Hi, WIN7 x64 Ultimate and have adjusted, that all files are shown (that is the normal setting for me).  By now I have made it so far that I can create a MCA- File from OV2. I saved it in the root directory where all the maps are, it showed me the names of the POIs in mapfactor, but the POIs are empty. I am also not sure, what format the pictures must have. BMP, ICO. PNG or something else and where I have to put them for a fine integration. There is no complete workaround with details, isn´t it?
    The Questions are: Where should the MCA- Files after converting be and what format must pictures have to be used as icons for OVIs?
    I put the pictures together with the OV2- Files in the "import" - Folder of digger12, left the settings in the following steps untouched and got a MCA- File. Something is wrong with that, but I don´t know what!
    Kind greetings, Alfred
  • Hi

I am a new user of Navigator 12 and have found it a useful satnav.

I wanted to add some poi's showing campsites around Europe and found the Digger program but could not get it to work and could not find any clear instructions on how to use it anywhere. I then found this Forum and it seems that others had struggled like I did, but by reading all the comments and trial and error I finally got it to work ok.
    My apologies if all this is obvious to all of you out there (and for the length of the post) but for the sake of anyone out there who has problems (and so I don't forget!) here is what worked for me.

1 Open  diggerQt.exe

2 Enter a new file name in the box at the top of of the first page.

3 Click on next

4 I used a csv file which I knew was in UTF-8  encoding. Drop down the select data type box and select Comma separated values in UTF-8 encoding and a new screen will open . Go to the location of the csv file you want to use and select it.Click on next

5 The coordinate screen will open.Select the latitude and longitude format in your csv file. Click on the longitude drop down box and you should see the info on your csv file and click on the longitude value. Repeat this for the latitide value. Click on next.

6. The Object appearance assignment screen will open. This screen caused most of my problems.
    It is not obvious but you need to double click in the style box which will open a new screen and then double click on select image and then click on the little icon that appears to the right of the select image box.
    This will let you go to wherever you have stored the icon you want to use for your poi's. The file will need to be a .png or .ico file. I used a png and you may have to try different sizes of files to get one that you can see at whatever scale you usually use.
    You can then ok back to the main screen and now you will be able to click on next.

7If you want information to show at the poi location you can set it up here.Then click next.

8 You will then see a summery screen of what you have set up. Click next.

9 The Run import screen opens.click on save configuration and run import. The screen will run down until import finished and you need to click close to save everything to a .mca file

10 Digger will then save the .mca file to the diggerQt.exe file folder in a folder called Import.
    To see the poi's on your map you need to have the .mca file in the main pc navigator folder.
    Depending on your configuration this may happen automatically but in my case it did not so I had to copy and paste it from the import folder in the digger file to the PC_Navigator folder.

You need to open PC Navigator and you should see the new poi icons.
    If they are not the way you want them to be you can go back  and open diggerQt where you can edit the details in the Object Appearance assignment screen.
    It took me a bit of time changing a detail, saving the changes, viewing them on my maps before I got them looking the way I wanted .

gmmas 

• Great post! Very helpful, thank you. What camping site POIs did you use? I want to do exactly the same thing.
  • Well, I don't know, which site gmmas uses, but I prefer this one:

http://www.archiescampings.eu/

About 31003 campsites in Europe.

And there I take the gpx-files, because Digger 12 supports them. But be aware, you have to convert the gpx-files into UTF-8. They are in ISO-8859-1.
  • I agree, archies looks very comprehensive. So, can I ask the obvious question. How do you convert gpx-files into UTF_8 ?
  • Well, there are serveral ways to do it.

One is to use Notepad++ (freeware). Open the pgx-file with Notepad++, in the Menu go to Encoding --> Encode in UTF-8 without BOM. or Convert to UTF-8 without BOM .

If you are using Linux, open a terminal and enter 
                     iconv –from-code=ISO-8859-1 –to-code=UTF-8 source.file > destination.file

If you are fit in programming or scripting, many languages (php, java) can do it.

In any case, you have to change the head of the gpx-file (first line) from
        <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
    into
        <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

Good luck!

• Xclnt post by gmmas.

Can we access the PC Navigator icons for imported POIs? There are a heap of them defined but I haven't found them yet.
  • The answer is "well, yes, maybe". The dll files gfxQVGA.dll and gfxVGA.dll are basically compressed archives containing about 300 .png icon files. Without looking too deeply at this stage, one contains the icons at 50x50 resolution, the other the same icons at 100x100 resolution. I have extracted them and renamed a handful so win7 recognizes and previews them.

So far diggerQT only seems to give the option to attach one icon file. Still to be determined is how the scaling works so the icons look right as the map is scaled in and out.
  • I am not shure where icons are, in one .mca file I think, but you can import multiple icons with digger, Object assignment appearance page.
  • Hi, I have translated the Camping Car Infos (http://www.campingcar-infos.com) text comma separated POI's to .mca format and using them with MF Navigator on my Android Devices. By the way, I originally tried to do the conversion using the tomtom .ov2 files from the site but my POI’s all ended up in Africa. I didn’t look into it too deeply but I suspect DiggerQT is reading Lat and Long the wrong way around when importing this ov2 file format.

I see there is a lot of trouble with doing this process generally so this is what I did and I hope it helps someone.

1) From a PC (I'm using Windows 7) Download the ASCII Aires_CCinfos_totales_asc.zip from http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/recherche.php

2) Unzip the file and take the ATOTALES_CCI.asc file, rename it ATOTALES_CCI.csv and open it in MS Excel (or some other Spreadsheet you have)

3) Delete all the double spaces by searching for "  " and replace all with " ". Do this again and again until there are no more double spaces to be found. This makes sure the file sorts correctly ready for conversion.

4) Sort the spreadsheet table alphabetically by the POI name (column C). This is really important as I found if you generate an unsorted .mca file and try to use it with MF Navigator, the search function throws a proper hissy fit, the application hangs and flashes white and black screens at you before giving up. (If the developers are reading they might like to incorporate the name sort into DiggerQt or MF Navigator in a future version).

5) The original text file has double quotation marks around the POI name text field. Having imported the file and saved it again as csv Excel doesn’t add the quotes back in by default so you have to add them back in. You do need them. To do this concatenate two double quotation marks with the text field into column D. Also add 3 spaces on the front after the first quotation. For Excel the formula looks like =char(34)&”   “&C1&Char(34). Paste this formula all the way down column D. Copy column D and paste Special->Values back into column C. Delete Column D. Save the file again back to the same .csv as text, comma separated values. However, because a double quotation mark is an escape character, you will find that when you look in the file with Notepad, Excel has put 3 double quotation marks around your text field. Just find “”” and replace with “ in the file.  Finally “Save As…” select “Encoding->UTF-8”, click Save. You now have a csv file ready for DiggerQT. You need the three spaces so the text field does not get partly obscured by the icon in MF Navigator.

6) In the zip file you unzipped earlier there are also some small .bmp image files for use as icons. Open each one in turn in your favourite paint program (I use IrfanView because it is free and also has all kinds of really helpful batch conversion functions) and scale each image to 200% (44x44 pixels) and save as a .png file (MF Navigator only supports .png and .ico files for use as icons). I did this because I found the 22x22 sized icons a bit small at any scale in MFN in use.

6) Download Digger 12, uncompress the zip, run DiggerQT. You should have a rather blank looking application in front of you. Select “Create a new import” Choose a file name for your .mca, say, “ATOTALES_CCI” type it into the text field and click “next”.

7) Select Data Source Type->Comma separated values. At the dialog that appears select your ATOTALES_CCI.csv. You should have a green bar at the bottom that says “Connected”. Leave “Meaning of imported Data” as “icon” (I don’t know what this does.) Click Next

8) The Geographical coordinates in this file (and most files) is WGS84, dd.ddddd deg. Select Longitude and then the smaller number. Latitude, the larger number then “Next”
    9) Double click the box under “Style”. It should say test and have an orange “?” icon in it. A dialog will appear.

10) These settings control how the text and icon appears in MFN. Double click “select_image”. It should become active with a “…” button to the right. Click it and select the ATOTALES_CCI.png file you created at (6). Now in my case I wanted the Icon for these POI’s to be visible on the map when zoomed out a long way, you will have to find what suits you, but in my case I set scale factors detail zoom:50, min scale factor:25, shrinking ratio:40, horizontal alignment:left, max font:14, min font:10 and set max.icon.zoom to 1:5,000,000 and max.text.zoom to 1:1,000,000 on the screen before. Having set the settings, click “OK”.

11) Try the “zoom tester” if you want to see what it does. Click “Next”

12) Select “User Data”, then against the POI name text field select “Name” (you must do this) and probably also “Text on map” (so this object name text also appears on the map next to the icon), and for the Lat and Long numbers I selected “note”, so you can see them when clicking “object info” on the map in MFN. Click “Next”

13) At the Import summary, assuming you are happy with it, click “Next”.

continued on next post....
  • ...continued:

14) Make sure “compress imported data” is selected and then click “save configuration and run import”. There should be a progress bar and if your import file integrity is good, things will run OK. Don’t click “Close” when it is done. The output path for your .mca is shown in the dialog and is the “Import” folder under the folder where you unzipped Digger to at step (6). (Incidentally, I’m always getting 1 record too few reported at “Step #1” of “Run Import” against that which is in my import file.)

15) Your newly generated file will be located in the import folder, at the path indicated at the dialog and called “ATOTALES_CCI.mca”, if that’s the name you used at (6). Find a way to get the file onto your Android device, and for where to put it see (16). You can use things like Google Drive, FTP, or a flash drive connected to a OTG cable. How you do that is up to you.

16) The documentation says to place the file under the /navigator/data folder on your Android device. At time of writing it doesn’t exist. There is a /navigator folder, which is empty, and having created the data folder under that and placed the ATOTALES_CCI.mca file into both /navigator and /navigator/data it doesn’t work. After some digging about and checking the log files (after having found them), you need to place the file into the same folder as the maps etc. So copy your ATOTALES_CCI.mca to  /Android/data/com.mapfactor.navigator/files/navigator/data/

17) Start Navigator on your Android Device and select Search->Search Imports->ATOTALES_CCI (your mca file). You will get a list of the first 100 POI’s in the file. Start to type something and the list will sort giving, once again, up to the first 100 matching records. You get the idea. If instead your screen starts flashing black and white before returning to the main menu, something is wrong with your mca file. Go back and check what you did.

18) If it appears to be working, go back from here and look at the map. All being well you will see the icons and name on the map all over Europe. Lots of them, especially if you look at France.

OK, that’s it. However, if you want to go a step further, I also did the following:

a) Translated the country names into English from French using a simple Windows PowerShell script. I got a list of unique country names by using an advanced filter in MS Excel

b) Split the file into the icon categories (ie AA, AC, ACF, ACS etc) using Grep and coded each file separately with its respective icon.

Have fun.
  • Those are experts in converting poi or route formats http://www.routeconverter.com/formats/en http://forum.routeconverter.com/thread-1835.html?highlight=mapfactor

But they still do not support mca files ...

[Edit Sept. 8]

The webmaster of that forum says, if more people ask for support of mca files there, it will worth for him to look at it.

There is also a thread in English language for mca files:

http://forum.routeconverter.com/thread-1835.html?highlight=mca
  • I
     trying to user Digger 12.1.5 with wine under Debian/Wheezy and when selecting an csv file and type icon i get a crash very soon. Selectint mark works but i fail to create an mca file - The last step

Import started, output path is 'C:\Program Files\digger_12_1_5\import\vcss.mca'
    [Step #1] : test 194 source objects...
    0 map objects loaded.
    Error: mapFactor exception: All data was banned, cannot finish import.

I fail to find the Problem.

Flo
  • When you're using "icons" and reach this window
    did you change the test-image into another? You can use *.png or *.gif, other types also should work. A good size is between 32x32 and 64x64. But you can play with the sizes and try to get the best result.

(I'm using Linuxmint with wine and that works fine)

• I dont reach that screen. I retried with Debian/Jessie e.g. wine 1.6 and the very same behaviour. The Windows i still have (an XP) wont execute diggerQT 12.
  • Okay, that you don't reach my screenshot, I can confirm. While I was using Linuxmint 13 (now it ist 17), I also didn't reach that screen. But now with the nes Linuxmint, it works fine.

But that it doesn't run under WinXP, that's strange. Do you have any MapFactor - Software running on WinXP? The Setup-Tool or FreeNavigator? While Installing one of these programs, there is also a Redistributible C++ Version (or something like that) installed. Perhaps that is needed for Digger on WinXP.

A mca created on Window you can edit in Linux.
  • I'm trying to use digger 12.1.5 on Ubuntu 14 under wine. I extracted the zip file in the C drive directory of wine.
    The plan was to load the cma file onto my android smartphone to use with free Navigator.
    I have a csv file created with Google My Maps with lines like

When I run digger I get the following in the log file

ERR 2015/03/28 19:24:40 XPathNode: can not access source file: C:\Program Files\digger_12_1_5\import\Britian_U_Trip\digger_config.xml
    ERR 2015/03/28 19:24:40 XPathNode: can not access source file: C:\Program Files\digger_12_1_5\import\Britian_U_Trip.mca\digger_config.xml
    ERR 2015/03/28 19:25:23 Exception thrown: .\src\PoolFont.cpp(208)
    ERR 2015/03/28 19:25:23 Exception mpfc::exception& ex caught: .\src\PoolFont.cpp(254) message:'mapFactor exception: PoolFont::idFont - can't retrieve font ???, ???r???.'

It doesn't create a cma file in the import directory.

What have I missed?

• Do you also have an installed Version of the Navigator Setup Utility or PC Navigator (look above)?

I tried with your (one) data to generate a mca-file. (Linuxmint 17.1 & wine) I had no probem. So, I've no idea. Sorry.

• PoolFont detects fonts from system and other directories, it seems wine provides you incorrect path, be sure you have installed ttf-mscorefonts-installer and use latest version of wine:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install wine1.7 ttf-mscorefonts-installer
  • Mine is a simple request, I have Navmii installed on my old Samsung galaxy mini 3 and have created favourites on it . I would now like to copy them on to my new Moto 4 G with lollipop OS as latest Navmii installed. Is this a simple task or do I need some sort of brain transplant to do it?
  • @Traveller_HA5_3DOM

You aren't talking about MapFactor Navigator, are you? I think, Navmii is adifferent navigation-system. Perhaps you should ask a forum for Navmii?

• Hi all!

I switched to the MapFactor Navigator to use it, when renting cars in the USA. Worked fine and I would like to use it at home (Germany), too.

I am running into a problem, which I could not solve up to now. I definitely need to use my own POI. I imported them as CSV using Digger12.

The problem is:

1. Small CSV - some 100 entries - work fine.
    2. Medium size CSV - some 1000 entries - are processed without any error by Digger12, but only a relatively small part shows up in the import-Table.
    3. Large CSV - some 6000 entries - are processed without any error by Digger 12. When selecting the import-table in the navigator, it crashes.

Anybody any idea, what I might be doing wrong?

The app is running under Android 4.1 on a Huawei Y300 Smartphone.

Thanks for any idea and help.

• Was a dublette - sorry.
  • email your source file if you want, I will try
  • Good Morning,

I would like to transfer my waypoints from Garmin in Mapfactor Navigator. The .mca file has already been created and stored where the mca files are.

It does not work .....

Can someone tell me the exact path?
    Is there a file to replace (favorites?) ??

Thanks in advance

greeting

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion