Test of Android version 6.0.x
  • 242 Comments sorted by
  • Hi Tomas,
    I understand your choice to have abandoned google and I have made several search attempts on "Here", the search is very limited.
    "Here" does not find a large company with more than 3000 employees, Bull for example.
    Users want a clear and simple to use Gps.
    Region maps are now smaller.
    It would be very good to add useful categories for users like Factories and surely others as useful.
    If you answer to simple users that they can import their data using Digger, it will send them to another Gps.
    Not everyone is familiar with computers.
    A good Gps should be clear from the main menu.
    A Lambda user should not say "What do I do to navigate to my house or factory?"
    Almost all Gps have on the first page an icon "My Home" and "My Job"
    Putting 75% of the menu on a search function that is not performing is surely a mistake, I think.
    A menu like the image below would be a plus for Navigator.
  • I am not developer, but my view is that it may sound simple, it may not be
    it could be that number of categories reached limit and increasing this limit may be very time consuming

as to Google search - we did not charge for it when it was free and we did not charge for it when price to us was reasonable (loosing money), but we cannot pay extortinate amounts, it is just not possible, we would be bust in month or two
    you can use Send to navigation app, it works very well, even though you need extra click or two
  • @Tomas,
    I understand you, but there are categories that can be replaced by more useful ones.
    I think you should give us the list of imported categories and together we could try to make the Navigator search more useful and functional.

Personally, my daughter left Navigator because she rarely found her searches, she is in v5 without google search.
    My wife keeps the v5 because she still has google search, we don't know why but that suits her, she doesn't want to switch to V6 as soon as there is an update because she will no longer find her searches.
    I am in V6 and paid to have a better search, but I am disappointed with my purchase and I will surely not be the only one.

If you do nothing to improve the search on Navigator, you risk losing customers ...
    But that's just my opinion...

The beta testers are here to help you, ask their opinion.

You say :
    "you can use Send to navigation app, it works very well, even though you need extra click or two"
    And how do you do that from your phone ?!
    I did not find ?!
  • I'm interested in the MacDony idea about a better distribution of the main menu.

Limit the search thing at half size, then some useful icons. According to the second view the center column could welcome an other icon up/down the Map one.

An other suggestion, if it is as simple as to set different informations at the bottom naviagation page (altitude, speed, time, etc. setting some icons on the main menu (My Home, My Job, etc.).
  • you need to install Send to navigation app
    then you set Navigator as your target
    then you search Google maps and send result to Navigator via Send to navigation app

I know search is important, if you tell me where to get something better for free, then we will be only happy to implement it
    I have this feeling that 'everything for free era' is slowly ending, pricing models will start creeping in.

at this moment we are paying for v5 users, but it will stop soon

wish you said something prior release, that is why we release beta here
    I did pass it to developers, no idea how easy/difficult it is
  • @Tomas,

"I know search is important, if you tell me where to get something better for free, then we will be only happy to implement it"

You can use online search with "Nominatim" which is Openstreetmap search.
    I tested this search engine and it instantly found "diemaker form" and "Bull Angers"
    Links
    Other search engines here:
  • these are all OSM I think
    there are limits on usage as you can see from the link you provided
    and, I do not think it is better then Here

• I'm not talking about replacing "Here", but adding a "free" online search.
    All the searches I did with "Nominatim" were found quickly.
  • may be it is possible as secondary search, but not as only online search
    1 request per second is not enough and autocomplete is not allowed
  • Yes, even in secondary search, it would be good, it would find places not found by "Here"
    I tested several Gps using Openstreetmap and all found "diemaker form" quickly.
  • I already asked developers this morning :-)
    lets wait what they say
  • Hi,
    Version 6.0.138
    - Same bug April 17 - No blue panel displayed for the name of the ramp and roundabout exits.
    - No option opacity for navigation  E-Ink screen.
    Format of icons in 3D navigation too small compared to 2D.

- delete all waypoints option added to Route info menu
    - vehicle type selection in Vehicle setup minor up enhancement

@MacDony we will probably add an option to have larger menu main menu buttons
  • @Stepan,
    "delete waypoints" is not translated.
  • Share ("Favourite") via (SMS) = ok
    Import the Favorite by clicking on the link of the SMS does not work = "unable to import colour scheme"

• On my phone (Galaxy S7) I had the v5.105, I accepted the update proposed by the play store and got the v6.138, it's Ok I decided to deal with that version.

My question is about my former phone and actual GPS device (Galaxy S5) where I installed v6 from http://download.mapfactor.com/mapfactor_navigator.apk. At the time I did I got v6.131 and no update proposed to 138 because I didn't get it with the playstore I guess ?

So, how can I go back to standard updates or direct updates with Mapfactor ?
  • update is available on Play
  • I got it, but how do I proceed now ?
  • I am not sure what are you asking
    if you wish to update then proceed

- blue signposts sometimes not showing bug fix (@MacDony)
    - start navigate button splitted to two parts (vehicle type can be changed here)
    - possibility of larger menu buttons: App customization->Large menu buttons (@MacDony)
    - missing advanced vehicle settings re-added
    - not showing next manoeuvre picture on some devices fix
    - missing texts for translation added to Crowdin (https://crowdin.com/profile/MapFactor)
  • Thanks for all the team, including @MacDony for the improvements !

I tested some, I appreciate larger buttons and the new navigate button.

I couldn't find how to access advanced mode on vehicule settings. On the v5 I used to do a long tap on vehicule profile page to get the "expert" at the top right scroll.

@Tomas As I installed Navigator one time from the apk I got from http://download.mapfactor.com/mapfactor_navigator.apk now the only way to update is to download first from your site  on my Mac, copy on the smartphone and then install ?
  • Hi,
    Version 6.0.142
    - App customization->Large menu buttons - thank you so much ;)
    - blue signposts sometimes not showing bug fix - ok thx.
    - Import the Favorite by clicking on the link of the SMS or Email does not work = "unable to import colour scheme"
    (you should put 2 icon format settings, 2D format and 3D format)

improvements: ( Can you add them :-/ )
    - App customization-> option opacity for navigation (E-Ink screen) 
    -
    adding a "free" online search "Nominatim", some news ?
    News for the bug of urban or extra-urban roads ?
    -
    icon "My Home" and "My Job" to navigate... ?

thank you very much for your work on the evolution of the application.

:)>-
  • Nominatim asks to use their service not extensively:

"OSM’s Nominatim service is mainly there to power the search bar on openstreetmap.org.
    We are in principle happy for the public API to be used by external
    users for creative and unexpected uses. However, be aware that the
    service runs on donated servers and has a very limited capacity. We
    therefore ask you to limit your use and adhere to this usage policy."
  • v.6.0.142 arm64-v8a on Samsung Galaxy S9. Settings-App Customisation. All options in English (default language for me) except for last option (large menu buttons?) which is in German. The large buttons & smaller search area is a big improvement. Thank you all.
  • where you installed your current version from makes no difference when updating Navigator
    but you cannot update newer version with older one

+) Large menu buttons - looks much better for me
    +) start navigate button with option to change vehicle type - great feature

-) couldn't find out how to access advanced vehicle settings
    -) app customization - in my app language (german) the option "large menu buttons" incl. explanation is in english instead of german
  • In English the "large menu" is in German.

Option to change vehicle profile is great, well done. Minor issue the green part is not aligned with the start navigate part

Please, please get rid of the scrolling vehicle profiles and bring back the old screen.

- licence issues on Android 10 fix
    - truck restriction icons not visible on map for truck version purchased on Google Play

@MacDony we will investigate the possibility to change highlighted route opacity
  • also for 6.0.147: @Madbiker7 - advanced mode can now be turned on in Settings->About Navigator by 5 click on app name (first row)
  • Hi,
    Version 6.0.147
    - Import the Favorite by clicking on the link "http://www.openstreetmap.org/#name=Stepan&map=15/45.632385/2.0349188" of the SMS or Email does not work = "unable to import colour scheme"
    (you should put 2 icon format settings, 2D format and 3D format)

improvements: ( Can you add them)
    - App customization-> option opacity for navigation (E-Ink screen) -  Thank you for this E-Ink option.
    -
    adding a "free" online search "Nominatim", some news ?
    News for the bug of urban or extra-urban roads ?
    -
    icon "My Home" and "My Job" to navigate... ?
  • @stepan Thanks for the advance mode it works. I just want to verify the parameters @tomas advised me for some itineraries with motorways/toll off some months ago.
  • 6.0.147 on my test-device (old Samsung S3) permanently crashes.
  • @JambaFee can you send log files please? Thanks 
  • @stepan: I sent logs to android-log@mapfactor.com because sending via app didn't work. Crashes only seem to happen when there is no active internet connection.
  • Can't confirm crashes on s5 with android 6 and s9+
  • 6.0.147 runs on my S5 android 6.

- licencing issues fix attempt
    - route highlight opacity setting (Map customization->Other Colors->Route highlight opacity) 

@JambaFee - if 6.0.148 still crashes, can you send more details? we haven't found anything unusual in the log files
  • Hi stepan,
    Version 6.0.148
    Many thanxs for opacity ;)
    The bug below is important, you cannot import favorites ....
    - Import the Favorite by clicking on the link "http://www.openstreetmap.org/#name=stepan&map=15/45.632385/2.0349188" of the SMS or Email does not work, message = "unable to import colour scheme"
  • Just as stepan says. I've got the "Checking purchase" hang problem.  Done clean install, able to download maps, moment I restart the app cant get any further than "Checking Purchases" .
  • Hi,
    the autozoom function sometimes stop working. The zoom factor freezes far out and it is only possible to get it working again to switch between the tree navigation modes (big button down right).

-import favorite from SMS fix
    -Macedonian and Sinhala translations added
  • @JambaFee

If the app still crashes can you please try this?
    It is a really very slow debug version not intended to be used for nothing else but this test. Send log file after crash (android-log@mapfactor.com), thanks a lot
  • Hi Stepan,
    Version 6.0.151
    Map customisation => Edit colour scheme => Edit scheme
    The upper part of the menu, tab texts is not visible in the White and Black theme.
    (please, you should put 2 icon format settings, 2D format and 3D format)
  • Hi stepan,

6.0.151 and 6.0.151-debug-version - same problem, without active internet connection it crashes after about 50 seconds, with internet connection active everything works as it should.

I sent the logs.

-possible unexpected app finish without internet connection fix @JambaFee
    -muted navigation instructions icon overlaps blue signpost fix
  • 6.0.152 - thank you, no more crashes!
  • Missing the last Posting from JambaFree. Yes it seems closing the app without crash is now possible. I did it after my tour on saturday and today. So many years was this Bug present. But this glitch was not always reproducible. Hoping this Behavior without crash will continue on.
  • Hi Matthias,
    "Missing the last Posting from JambaFree"

someone had to left click on the top arrow passing the position of the message at the beginning of the topic.
    I put it back in its place by clicking on the down arrow.

-not possible to buy map upgrade for some users fix
    -failing to compute new route using currently modified vehicle profile without app restart fix
  • Version 6.0.157
    Map customisation => Edit colour scheme => Edit scheme
    The upper part of the menu, tab texts is not visible

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion