Config file for downloaded maps?
  • It sometimes happens that when you test a new version you can't install another oo older version on top of it, which means that you first have to uninstall the installed version.
    I can easily backup my favourites.xml, warningsounds (self recorded), navigation.xml,routing_points.xml and vehicle_profiles.xml (and sometimes tts.xml).

But how do I backup my maps configuration?
    Simply copy the maps to a backup location, install the new/older/other MNF, and copy the maps back doesn't work. 
    Is there a config file that keeps track of downloaded and installed maps or is it somewhere in the apps data space?
  • 6 Comments sorted by
  • The installed maps (or rather their potential placement) is described in atlas*.idc (* could be _pcn, _pcn_free, _ocx etc). There is a list of directories where the maps could be stored. You can pass atlas.idc as parameter to PC navigator. The default atlas.idc path is stored in the registry.
  • I am talking about the android version. Does that works likewise?
  • if you manually move navigator folder to root of internal memory (typically /sdcard/navigator) and reinstall navigator, navigator will work with this folder and it wont be deleted when you uninstall/degrade version
  • Maybe that works for Android <4.4, but not for 4.4+. 
    I just tried and Adroid 4.4+ simply doesn't allow you (the applications) to write outside the /Android/data folder and that's also what MNF specifies on first start as only options (SD or internal).

If I cancel and start MNF again I simply can't continue without first downloading a map.

However, after making sure MNF is not in memory and simply copying back my backup folder /sdcard/navigator/files/navigator into /Android/data/com.mapfactor.navigator/files/ does the trick as well: MNFstarts up with everything in place.
    I thought I had tried that before in the past and at that time it didn't work.

I do think though this is not advisable when replacing a very old version with a new version.

Edit: Anyway. Thanks for pointing me more or less into the right direction.
  • /sdcard/navigator/files/navigator is wrong... /sdcard/navigator is correct folder
    4.4+ devices have readonly access on SD card, not on internal memory
  • I did not read your comment well enough and missed your mention of the internal memory and correct path.

I don't want my maps on internal memory but that is then the alternative for users who use them from internal memory

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion