Application translation
  • Hi,

Being a dutch user I use MNF in Dutch, but there are quite some strings in English.
    I did read "somewhere", but can't find it back, that you stopped translating the application and would do that as of version 1.4: So far that didn't happen.
    I can't find either whether there is some (online) tool to do so (like weblate?).

I already checked the dictionary folder but the dictionary_nl.qmm is a binary file.

So I simply used the apktool to decompile the apk (like I used to do when creating custom roms for phones/tablets) and took the arrays.xml and strings.xml files for the folder values-nl from the decoded resources.arsc.

I can start translating but I would like to know whether there is some online tool (like weblate) to do the translations.
  • 8 Comments sorted by
  • thanks for your offer, I will ask my colleague to email you, but he will not be back until January
    please be patient
  • I already translated them. I rebuilt the mapfactor apk with my strings and that works.

The zip contains the arrays.xml and strings.xml (from the resources.arsc) for the Dutch language and should be placed in the res/values-nl folder, but that should be clear to the developer(s).

I think I found an error in strings.xml:
    <string name="compass_calibration_info">To calibrate compass stay away from magnetic fields as far as you can. Direct the device with the display pointing up and rotate it slowly as like as it is shown in animation. Do it till calibration status is not OK.</string>

I think this last part of the sentence should be:  Do it till calibration status is OK.

• Hi, we are using QT Linguist tool for translations BUT you will need input language file which is not part of APK. Some texts are in our qmm file and some are in strings.xml. QT Linguist enables you to modify all texts.

I MUST WARN USERS: USING UNOFFICIAL BUILDS COULD BREAK NAVIGATOR SD CARD ACCESS ON SOME KITKAT DEVICES OR FORCE YOU TO DELETE ALL NAVIGATOR DATA ON ALL DEVICES.
  • I know QT linguist. I already thought that the dictionary**.qmm files were "compiled" files. 
    Never the less I think you can still use the strings.xml. Will you use them?

I have no intention whatsoever to pirate the mapfactor navigator builds. The only reason I did this is to further localise mapfactor as quite some strings were not translated (and some were slightly incorrect translated).
  • By the way: in that first post I mentioned the free open source weblate system (https://weblate.org). You can set it up for QT linguist as well, even though your arrays.xml are currently not wel supported.

If you use a system like weblate you make use of your user community to do the translation for you. This will save you a lot of money and efforts making it even more possible to keep distributing MNF as a free application (like is mentioned multiple times in the strings.xml ;) )

Edit: Next to weblate there are more open source online translation systems.
  • I expected that @mdx answer you(he manages languages).

I have no problem with your APK modification, I only wanted to warn people that it can delete their navigator data(main problem is with comercial maps).

Weblate seems to be such a nice tool. Thanks
  • I will not share that apk. That one doesn't run anyway as the signing is not correct anymore. What I meant with the succesful  "recompilation/rebuilt" is that the strings.xml and arrays.xml are correct. Otherwise the apk could not be rebuilt.
  • There are several sources for translation from strings.xml, to various configuration files, strings in native part etc. This is the reason why we put all in one(?) TS file (former products were based on Qt, so that's why still use Qt Linguist).

Translated strings.xml is just an intermediate phase during APK build, so to get it back to "our dictionaries" is currently extra work for us (maybe simple script could do it, I do not know now).

We are discussing the open translation option, but there is no conclusion yet ...

thanks
       Martin

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion