Routing for Pedestrians - Considerations
  • I'd like to know how pedestrian routing currently works.
    Which type of OSM ways are considered for pedestrians to pass (or: which not)?
    What, if separate footways/cycleways are mapped next to streets - would the app know to avoid the street?
    Is the sidewalk tag considered? If it ends on one side, will the app instruct to move to the other side (maybe using existing crossings, traffic light,etc. earlier)?

I am asking because here in my hometown, we have lots of streets without sidewalks, where pedestrians would not walk on the street, but on one or two separate footways one metre aside. However, there are no traffic signs that forbid. I'd like to make sure to tag those streets sufficiently. I suppose this is very important for blind person routing.
  • 4 Comments sorted by
  • Hello, MapFactor ...
  • The pedestrian routing is very simple (at the moment as TomTom data are primarily for cars). All roads are allowed, equal and shortest routing is used.
  • Ok, then please at least avoid streets with foot=no and motorways
  • Motorways are disabled by default. There was a bug in some older version where you could not disable other types of roads in "Route setup" for pedestrian (or rather it was not taken into account). It should be fixed now.

Regarding "foot=no" it is a problem, because there is no special bit for pedestrians (in current version of MCA data).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged