different names of cities
  • Hi,

after downloading the newest maps
    (openstreetmap) I noticed that in some South Eastern European countries (e.g.
    Hungary, Romania, Slovenia) the names of greater cities which have due to
    historically reasons German and/or Hungarian names, the displaying in the map is
    not unique (sometimes german name sometimes local name). Is there rule behind
    this selection or does this depend from my personal settings if possible?

I would prefer the displaying like it is in
    openstreetmap.org.  So for example the local names Sibiu/Cluj-Napoca instead of
    German names Hermanstadt/Klausenburg in Romania. Actually it is quite
    confusing.

Kind regards,

ducato14.

• 3 Comments sorted by
  • Hi ducato14,
    Navigator supports alternative names. There were only few languages selected (en, cs, sr) for experiments. Since March 2014 conversion we had extended the set of languages(+de, fr, es). If you select any of these languages and there is an alternative name for city/street in that language, you should see it localized. If not default name is used.

If you search the same holds, but it is in reality searching in all translations (shown is only the localized name if available, and if it does not match then translation is displayed). What language do you have set for the application?
    thanks
       Martin

• Hi Martin,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

thanks for the explanation. But just to clarify: “…and there is an alternative name for city/street in that language, you should see it localized. If not default name is used.”. With localized you mean that I´ll see the german (=local-> from my point of view/my language settings) name of that city? Default name is the offical city name in this country.

That means in my case as I have selected DE as application language, that I´ll will get automatically Germany city names if available.

But if don´t like this feature, what can I do?

regards,

guenther.

• hi,
    I tried now with English as application language. It works as I would like to have the city names. Positive side effect is that no cyrillic city names appears in Serbia, Ukraine or Bulgaria.

Regards,
    guenther.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged