Navigator startup trouble. What's wrong.
  • Hello everyone,

I am new here on the forum.

Since a few months I possess a "RoadNavigator RN99" which is essentially an Windows CE device with Mapfactor charts on it.
    Until now it worked nice and smooth.
    For some reason it hangs when starting now. The blue progress bar stops when it is nearly fully loaded and the device apparently hangs on the splash screen and does not resume within a reasonable amount of time.
    I found that there's what appears to be a boot logfile on the device but that does not contain something that explains the boot failure.

I'm willing to reinstall when necessary but I'm a bit scared right now.
    I've tried to install the PC Navigator version which seems to be for free too.
    The setup asks for a license key and offers a free version.
    If I do so the setup proceeds but when starting the programma it asks for a license key again and is not starting at all.
    My Windows CE device ("the navigation device") contains a free license code too so I expect problems when reinstalling.

I do not care too much about the PC version altough it would be nice when it's working but I really want to have my navigation device working again.

Is there anyone around here who knows how to solve the problems?
  • 10 Comments sorted by
  • Well, I solved one problem.
    It seems that being able to update this device is a big no no.
    Every update you make to the charts brings the device in a state of confusion and it refuses to start.
    Restoring the original charts makes the device working again.

So buying this device I guess was a big mistake.
  • try to update program first
  • Thank you, Tomas for your response.
    What program should I update? Are you talking about the mobile version or the PC version.
    The PC version is installed with the installer which I've downloaded from the website and I guess it should be the latest version. According to the installer there's no newer version of the mobile program.
  • you need to reinstall setup utilities

• As we are jumping from 12.0 to 12.1, 12.2, 12.3, 12.4 ... there could be a some problem with setup utility detecting if installation is new or old. Please delete already downloaded installations (I have them  here: c:\ProgramData\Navigator\12.3\Install ) and download it again.
    regards
       Martin
  • Thank you all for the pointers but it is still not working.
    I've tried it three times with different installers, including the most recent brand new one.
    Even one time on a PC that has never seen the navigator before.

The free license code is just not accepted on whatever install and on none of my computers.

One thing that comes to my mind:
    When running the setup it gives an option to change the license key for all programs installed.
    My version is Dutch so may be this is not an entirely correct translation.
    Do I need to do that?
    And if I do so does it interfere with the license code on my portable device which is apparently a valid one since that does work? I don't want to ruin my portable device of course.

Updating of the portable device is also still not working but I have to say I did a manual copy of files probably I should do it with the installer program which has an option to do so.
  • Oh well, I need to correct the previous post.
    On the second start attempt the PC Navigator does not complain and is just starting correctly.
    Apparently the newest installer is the best one to go with  :-)
    So that's one problem down and one to go.

I guess the regular update methode using the utilities is the correct way to update the portable device?
  • Ok, I'm completely done with this more or less  :-w
    I've invested more than a month now and it is just impossble to update this.

The setup utility persists in believing that there's no previous install on the portable device and forcing it to install a map ends with a "kritische fout is voorgekomen bij het kopieren van de gegevens. De handeling is onderbroken" (according to the setup utility which speaks Dutch).
    So what's up with the "kritische fout" (or critical error for people that don't live in the Netherlands)?

And in the setup utility on the screen for selecting an update or install location I see an option (again in Dutch):

Stel in als gebrekkige installatieroute

I'm not even attempting to translate this in English because I assume that it is already a bad translation from English to Dutch.
    I've no idea what it means. Does someone have a suggestion?

(The PC version is still working correctly b.t.w.)

• Success!
    Although I'm not sure what I did different this time.
    It's just working right now and I'm happy with that.
  • Navigator startup trouble. What's wrong.

Hi rq6415

Isn't it so that the Roadmanager RN99 and the now available RN 100 contains the Mireo Don't Panic software using the Mapfactor's charts?

So as i see it, if you install another program like Navigator 12.x, wouldn't it be better to remove the Mireo software first.

Maybe you did, I am curious to know how you did that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion