navfree android: navigation on footways?
  • There is a big bug in Navfree Android. If I navigate to a place I should drive along footways. So the navigation is sometimes totally annoying.
    source: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access-Restrictions
  • 12 Comments sorted by
  • Hi blubb
    we are not Navfree
    regards
  • I mean Navigator Free, sorry. Free for OSM data.
  • An example is Karl-Laux-Straße 52, Dresden, Germany to Fritz-Busch-Straße 7, Dresden, Germany.
    I tried to fix it using motor_vehicle: no, but this is just a walkaround just for Navigator Free. The solve the problem Navigator Free must be updated. Profile is car, AFAIR I just changed max speed to 200. Problem occured on Samsung Galaxy SIII (Android 4.1.2) and Acer Iconia A210 (Android 4.1.1).
  • this is a correct functioning - if you set waypoint in a closed street it will route there
  • A closed street? Probably I misunderstand that but it's a normal street. At first I must turn right into Fritz-Busch-Straße and then I should turn right into the footway. That's a normal behaviour?

There is a crazier navigation: Prohliser Allee 31, Dresden, Germany to Boxberger Straße 26, Dresden, Germany. Probably I added the footways too late so they are not included.

These bugs doesn't occour on openrouteservice.org
  • Start and Finish of blubb is set as footway in OSM.

At least good to know, that MF uses footways, if a waypoint is set to a footway.

But I wonder why MF does not have the footways leading directly to Boxberger Straße on the eastern side of those buildings. You find direct access to/from from Boxberger Straße in OSM but not in MF Maps. This is the same for Spremberger Straße an Senftenberger Straße just in the neighbourhood there.

Oh I just see, that in OSM housenumbers in Boxberger Straße are set to the western edge of the house, while Boxberger Straße is located on the Eastern side of the building ...

But also OSM there is not consistent. While a.m. streets have footways to entrances on both sides of the buildings, buildings in Finsterwalder Straße in OSM do not have footways or only have footways  on the side opposite to the street ...

Anyway blubb is right, that routes of openrouteservice.org seem to be better.
  • openrouteservice.org is good, but the routing-data is from 29.10.2012, so it could be possible, that you're walking on different ways...
  • Hello Oldie,

I updated the area there in the last weeks. It is still not ready. Too bad, that there is no "daily or weekly" beta map update.
    So the footways on Boxberger Straße were added too late by me and so they are not included in NavigatorFree. Openrouteservice is using much better maps from openstreetmaps. They are updated nearly in realtime.
  • if you want online maps, then you can see changes instantly, if you want offline navigation, then it is not possible
  • I don't think, that he wants online maps. He just mentions, that routing via footways for a car does not really make sense, if there is a street for cars just nearby.
  • my reply was to the following comment
    "So the footways on Boxberger Straße were added too late by me and so
    they are not included in NavigatorFree. Openrouteservice is using much
    better maps from openstreetmaps. They are updated nearly in realtime."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion