Roundabout messages
  • Dear Mapfactor-Team,

After one week of holidays in the "Kingdom of roundabouts" (France), I would like to share my impressions about the navigation with Navigator Free. I have realized that there is a lot of messages before each of the roundabouts; that is 1000m, 500m, 200m, and directly before. Since it is not unusual to find every 5 km a roundabout along your route in France, it became quite annoying to hear several times the message "roundabout in xx meters, take the second exit".

It would be really great to have an option that allows me to set the distance for those messages (like for the speed camera warnings). Anyway, you should really remove the 1000m and 500m warning, since roundabouts are located in areas of rather low speed, and where a 200m warning would be sufficient.

Thanks a lot!

Andreas

• 7 Comments sorted by
  • Hi Andreas,
    check navigation.xml file, you may be able to edit it to your liking.
    regards
  • Hi Tomas,

Thank you for your fast answer. I have checked the navigation.xml file, but couldn't see any option to configure the distances. It seems that I'm only able to change the structure of the voice output:

<manoeuvre>
    <!-- Roundabout in [100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 1000, 2000] [meters, yards, kilometers, miles]. Take the [first, second, ... twentieth] exit -->
    <type>roundabout_later</type>
    <file>Bw-,%DISTANCE_AND_UNIT,-10</file>
    <file>Cz-RO-,%EXIT_NUMBER,-00</file>
    </manoeuvre>

There is the variable  %DISTANCE_AND_UNIT, but it comes from somewhere else, I assume. 

Best

• Anyway, I was able to modify the voice output to my taste and e.g. remove the exit-number output from the maneuver roundabout_later. This saved my day :-)

Thanks again

• Great! Maybe you can share with us how yo exactly did this. I also noticed that there were a lot of roundabout messages and also the exitnr on roundabouts is often not correct.
  • In the file navigation.xml, I have removed the line with the variable %EXIT_NUMBER. In my case (German languages), I have removed lines 849-851:

844: <manoeuvre>
    846:   <type>roundabout_later</type>
    847:   <file>Cv-RO-00-01</file>
    848:   <file>Cw-,%DISTANCE_AND_UNIT,-10</file>
    849:   <file>Cx-RO-00-01</file>
    850:   <file>Cy-RO-,%EXIT_NUMBER,-11</file>
    851:   <file>Cz-RO-00-10</file>

852: </manoeuvre>

This way, the exit number is indicated only before the roundabout; defined in section "roundabout_now".

• Danke. andyblueg, für den Tipp!
  • I, too, consider the mass of roundabout warnings to be superfluous, if not annoying. Strangely, an ordinary exit is not announced at all, all I hear is "turn right" or "turn left" directly at the exit. At least this was the case when I used the Windows standard speech module (I purchased an own text-to-speech file). As soon as I switched to MapFactor's speech module, the exits were announced like the roundabouts.

Marcus

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged