Priority Map Updates Voting
  • The OpenStreetMap data are processed from planet.osm.bz2 file monthly. The process is two stage - first convert planet in smaller tiles. Then country by country is extracted and converted to MCA files (on several machines). The order is alphabetical except first few countries, used for for quick process check and balanced load. We could use download statistics (and we are partially using it), but maybe there are some other preferences? Please let us know, which maps should be by your opinion converted with higher priority.
    thank you
       Martin
    p.s. add only separate regions as you can download them, i.e. USA/California, or Germany/North ... and add vote if they are already mentioned.
  • 26 Comments sorted by
  • Czech Republic
  • By changing the order of data release there would be a few days more to edit / add some changes by users in OSM between your release of MCA files and your new collection of the planet.osm.bz2 file.

Hard to tell. I would suggest:
    1. criteria: download statistics,
    2. criteria: countries with (above average) strong tourism; for Europe this would mean:
    Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus, Bulgaria
    3. Germany - all parts, since many users and OSM editors use it.
    4. countries with large (absolute, relative) data increase during last updates.

For me, personally, as an user + editor?
    Slovenia,
    Croatia.

• Poland - all

and agree to the riccie

• USA - states with major international airports and high rental car usage

and MS, TN, AR ... ;-)

• Imports.

I have read on the Mapfactor's web that the las update were July 18, 2011.
    It's not planned an update?
  • I think you should order by continent and then alphabetical order of countries within the cotienente as shown in the download list.
  • How about the UK? we havent had an update since March

• Hi Martin

If it's possible to create a count of the number of users downloading each map area after each update, then process the next batch of updates based the ranking of highest number of downloads to the lowest.

In other words , the area with highest number of users has the highest priority. That way you're responding to the demand of users in each map area in a fair way ( in my humble opinion ). If you satisfy the greatest number of users it is likely that your software will be recommended to more new users. I think it would also increase the number of users involved with the free Open Street Mapping project.

Thanks and keep up the good work. Even if other users don't agree with what I've wrtten above, they must all agree with my final point.

Mark ( from the UK )

• Totally agree with  riccie:

1. criteria: download statistics, 
    2. criteria: countries with (above average) strong tourism; for Europe this would mean: 
    Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus, Bulgaria 
    3. Germany - all parts, since many users and OSM editors use it. 
    4. countries with large (absolute, relative) data increase during last updates.
  • Hi Dalo

I agree with your 1st criteria but the others are surely based on opinions and feelings. By using the download stats would rank the maps with the highest demand first and would therefore satisfy the largest group of users. if that means that I personally have to wait longer to receive my updates so be it.

Alternatively, if it must be based on opinions then the maps should be processed based on the results of the Eurovision Song Contest  ???????   (Only Joking)

regards

Mark

• I agree with riccie in 1. and 4.
    Strong tourism is a relative option. If there's no massive download or a lot of change, why they should be updated?
    Although I'm german, why Germany should be preferred, if it doesn't get higher priority from criteria 1 and 4?

But also all other countries/regions should be updated in a maximum fixed period.
  • I think that UK has higher tourism then many countries mentioned :-)
    and so does probably Czech Republic
    :-)
  • OK, I should probably stop this discussion ;) ... my original idea was that there are some countries, which are statistically "not interesting", but many people need update for that country ASAP. As the conversion is sometimes failing (boundary issues, etc.) we are not always fixing everything. Note also issue with time required for conversion - for example France takes several days (we may have to split it as Germany) so it is reasonable to start rather sooner. On the other hand some small regions are completed within couple minutes. So if your country is not mentioned here just add it, so we can check that it is regularly updated ...
    thanks
       Martin
  • ad 4. countries with large (absolute, relative) data increase during last updates.
    ... well yes, but this is something I find out _after_ I process the country ... or is there some website, I should watch?
  • I’m not sure whether I’m too late to join this discussion. Nevertheless, I will express my opinion (well, it’s rather a suggestion) here.

I live in Sri Lanka. This map should definitely be one of the least complete maps in OSM. On the other hand I think it might be one of the smallest (in .mca file size I mean) country maps, compared to the others (please correct me if I’m wrong).

I’ve been adding a lot of missing roads lately and I’ve noticed that there are few others updating it regularly. Therefore my suggestion is… if maps like these won’t take much time to render, can those be updated more regularly?

Just a suggestion… open for discussion. :-)

By the way, I totally admire this whole project and all the people who spent their precious time over it.
  • Hi Martin,

Can't you use http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Planet.osm/diffs to monitor the data increase between map updates?
    Maybe you can even use the diffs to make map updates faster and less hardware intensive (incorporating only the differences, not building the map from scratch)?

Thanks for this awsome app!
    Bodypilot
  • Hi Bodypilot,
    currently the planet.osm updates are quite irregular. We will see after the license process is finished. Up-to-now it was easier for us to do it from the whole planet, but it can change one day and we will use diffs instead.
    thanks
       Martin
  • please include Philippines to your list of priority
  • Yes, Philippines pls
  • @mdx, I think that the data increase during the last two or three (already processed) updates is a sufficient indicator. Many countries are also "recovering" from the license change.

and @asgalk, processing of countries with small .mca files (and a significant data increase) should also get a priority and should be processed at least as often as any others, if not more.

• Pour l'Algérie, de nombreuse personnes travaillent activement sur la mise à jour ...mais ce pays est oublié !!!
  • Hello everybody,
    just a note if you would like "priority update", or rather "release candidate" maps, since Android version 0.13.8 you can check in Settings/Advanced/Early maps access. There is also new dialog for rating new (less than week old) maps, so there is a chance to block/comment bad map update.
       Martin
    p.s. APK download links are on Android FAQ page ...

• fixed, sorry :( ... the version 0_13_8 was not "renamed" to 0_13_x (to keep that link longer alive)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged