Announcement of waypoint number stops after the 9th wp
  • From
    waypoint 1 to 9 navigator announces the number of the waypoint - ie "Waypoint 8 reached".

There is no number announcement after the 9th waypoint - only announces "waypoint reached".

Also, description is not shown after the 9th waypoint during simulation

This is on both stable version and 1.5.20

• 19 Comments sorted by
  • It is actually very simple.
    You don't need to touch the navigation.xml, you only need to modify the tts.xml.

Find your language  (like language="en"  or language="nl")
    Search for "Fy-WP-19-01" in your language  section, for Dutch that would be:
      <phrase>
        <token>Fy-WP-19-01</token>
        <text>Negende</text>
      </phrase>
      <phrase>
        <token>Fy-WP-110-01</token>
        <text>tiende</text>
      </phrase>
      <phrase>
        <token>Fy-WP-111-01</token>
        <text>elfde</text>
      </phrase>
      <phrase>
        <token>Fy-WP-112-01</token>
        <text>twaalfde</text>
      </phrase>

I added tenth, eleventh, twelfth
    As you can see I numbered up ignoring the first 1 in the Fy-WP-1

Do not  change <token>Cy-RO-9-11</token> etcetera, as that's for the roundabout.

Now it functions correctly. 
  • Yes, this is expected - the recorded voice numbers are limited. I am not sure about TextToSpeech - it is probably the same as it was implemented later.
  • Is it possible to add some more numbers - at least up to 30?

• Wonder if anything can be done about this - I need to know which waypoint I reach as some of the waypoints are used as a Stop.
    Unfortunately there is no facility to add a "Stop" within the route - I am looking at something similar to CoPilot.
  • Well, even if you are following an electronic device, i.e. your navigation program, it is sometimes usefull or even necessary to still engage Brain 2.0.

Once again if you have such long routes which require 30 or more waypoints, on some of them you even want to stop, why don't you break up your route into several smaller ones?
  • @Uli - I am not sure what are trying to suggest with your first statement.

As splitting the route into smaller one is not ideal. I am not looking for a workaround but an improvement and enhancement to a nice application to make it even better.

As stated originally the number for waypoints 1-9 are announced but no number announcement after that.
  • Hi,

It are these lines in the navigation.xml
          <!-- Waypoint [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9] reached -->
          <type>waypoint_reached</type>
          <file>Fy-WP-1,%WAYPOINT_NUMBER,-11</file>
          <file>Fx-WP-00-01</file>      
          <file>Fz-WP-20-10</file>
        </manoeuvre>
        <manoeuvre>
          <!-- Waypoint [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9] missed -->
          <type>waypoint_missed</type>
          <file>Fy-WP-1,%WAYPOINT_NUMBER,-11</file>
          <file>Fx-WP-00-01</file>      
          <file>Fz-WP-21-10</file>
        </manoeuvre>

The strange thing is that roundabouts go up to 20 with corresponding numbers in the tts.xml. 
    Why not the same for waypoints? It's more reasonable to have 20 waypoints then 20 spokes on a roundabout.

• did you try to edit navigation.xml?
  • Not yet. The navigation.xml works in conjunction with the tts.xml. Both are used by the code. 
    I can expand the tts.xml and navigation.xml, but I don't know whether the code will pick it up. I prefer to have some feedback from @Lubos or one of the other programmers before I put some work into it. 
  • Lubos is on holiday
    just try it
  • In tts.xml you have
      <phrase>
        <token>Fy-WP-18-11</token>
        <text>eight</text>
      </phrase>
      <phrase>
        <token>Fy-WP-19-11</token>
        <text>nine</text>
      </phrase>
      <phrase>
        <token>Fy-WP-20-11</token>
        <text>ten</text>
      </phrase>
      <phrase>
        <token>Fy-WP-21-11</token>
        <text>eleven</text>
      </phrase>

I added ten and eleven

in navigation.xml you have:
        <manoeuvre>
          <!-- Waypoint [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9] reached -->
          <type>waypoint_reached</type>
          <file>Fy-WP-1,%WAYPOINT_NUMBER,-01</file>
          <file>Fx-WP-00-11</file>
          <file>Fz-WP-20-10</file>
        </manoeuvre>
    The Fy-WP-1 is the issue. The new messages 10 and 11 are Fy-WP20 and Fy-WP21. These are not resolved with the current substitution setup as that one only reaches Fy-WP-19.
    I tried other options of substitution, but these don't work either. I can't duplicate the "waypoint_reached" type for 10-19 as I can only have one occurrence of "waypoint_reached".
    This needs a new implementation to enable text-to-speech of waypoints over 9.

wrong
  • I also tried to be smart in tts.xml by simply using
      <phrase>
        <token>Fy-WP-110-11</token>
        <text>ten</text>
      </phrase>
      <phrase>
        <token>Fy-WP-111-11</token>
        <text>eleven</text>
      </phrase>

But that didn't work either.

wrong
  • @hvdwolf - You are a star!! - I am going to have a go at it now.
  • @hvdwolf - it works perfectly! I have tested it up to 24. I will increase it to 40 ( just hope that the tts file won't change in future releases - I am still on 1.4.24).
    A very positive response - well done and many thanks.
  • Nice!

But just out of curiosity: Why do you need that many waypoints spoken by their exact number? I simulated with 12 and just because of the testing I was aware of the number, but in normal situations I wouldn't care about the number and I would certainly not know whether I was at waypoint 7, 10 or 15 and if that was at the correct position.

• @hvdwolf - Good questions

First of all please note that I use Mapfactor on a motorcycle and following planned routes and very rarely to navigate from A to B. Also note being on a motorcycle voice announcements, big icons like speed limits and big active areas/buttons are extremely important to us.

Unfortunately in order to force Mapfactor to follow a specific route i need to add extra waypoints. A route obtained from Garmin Zumo with under 10 waypoints Mapfactor will require additional waypoints to calculate exactly the same route.

Even a route planned with RouteConverter with, say 10 waypoints, Mapfactor will require additional 10+ waypoints to match the route.

CoPilot somehow will match the route with no additional waypoints or just a couple more.

I have tried numerous profile / route setup combinations but to no avail. I even get different routes between TomTom and OSM maps using exactly the same profile / route setup. Now I tend to use TomTom maps most of the time as they require less additional waypoints than OSM.

In some cases Mapfactor will calculate the route to a waypoint then perform a U-Turn to go back via a shorter or faster route instead of following the obvious route to the next waypoint like CoPilot, RouteConverter or Garmin. The solution is to move the waypoint (which could create a different route) or add more waypoints.
    Too many waypoints can create other problems - such as complications with missed waypoints due to diversions etc that need to be cleared etc....

As to why I need so many waypoints spoken by their number. I have some specific stop locations and the only way to know is to have an announcement that the location is reached. I have requested some time ago an enhancement to enable/disable each waypoint announcement in Routing Points or add a specific waypoint announcement - I dont think is possible so I had to find a workaround and hence this request.

Now, and thanks to you, I can make note of the waypoint number - it worked perfectly last Sunday (was waypoint 19 :-) ). I am not very keen on workarounds but like this time they are fine.

CoPilot and OsmAnd have some functions that i would love to see on Mapfactor. Currently MapFactor has some very good points that I like but mostly because of people like you ( and @lubos, @tomas just to mention a few) that listen to people like me. Some of my requests have been implemented but unfortunately I cannot enjoy them as I am still on v1.4.24 because of the "assertion failed" issue on the latest version.

Thanks again and I guess you are sorry you asked now :-) :-)
  • No, I'm not :)
    Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense.

However, in RouteConverter you can give the waypoint a name. It would also be nice if the tts engine could simply pronounce the name of the waypoint from the route instead of just the number. In that case you could name your "nr 19" to "my first rest" or something alike.
  • It would be fantastic if that could be done!

Any chance you can look into that? :)
  • No sorry. I can't. I'm just a user who dives a little bit deeper in the technology occasionally.

This feature would require programming inside MNF, but would indeed be a nice feature. The tags are read anyway. Why not "speak" them.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion