International names in non-latin characters
  • Hi Martin,

as requested lets continue this in a new thread. What I mean is that there exist countries which don't use latin script set like China, Russia, Thailand, Serbia...whatever.
    Some important places have name:en, name:de and so on....like Moscow
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1686293227
    or Bangkok
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1628207792
    or Belgrade
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/60571493

But many places, especially with lower priorities like villages or street names do not have german or english names but are in letters that look like hieroglyphics for us. Therefore, some special tags exists to show the name in a latin script....not always but every application that uses such tags helps to make it more common
    Example name= Велико Средиште (cyrillic) + name:sr-Latn= Veliko Središte (latin)
    Often name:en is used to give a name with latin characters (like in Greece)....but in theory this is wrong because it is not an english name but a local name in latin script. So sometimes other tags are used like name:sr-Latn for the example above or name:ja_rm (latin script of Japanese).

What the Navigator currently does is to use name= and name:en..... At least based on my tests. Search for Belgrad (German name) and you will see "Belgrade (Београд)" in the screen....with German phone and Navigator settings. The funny thing is that the Navigator can translate cyrillic to latin. Search for "Kopaonik" in Serbia and you will see only "Копаоник" as search result because there is no name:en. This is correct but since I can not read cyrillic I would blindly press OK without knowing that this is correct. If there is more than one result, I would be lost.

I am not sure what the goal of your company is....i.e. if you are developing a program for western europe only, so this topic would not be on your top list.
    But if you you are interested, you should start a discussion with the community.This will not be an easy task because there doesn't exist "one community" but many, with different channels (forum, mailing lists etc).
    My first idea would be to take name:xx=[phone setting] (primary) OR name:en OR latin name according to a country specific table OR name=. But I am not a IT developer, only an international OSM mapper.

Kind regards
    Thomas
  • 4 Comments sorted by
  • Hello Thomas,
    thanks for detailed post. What we would like to do is to fully integrate what we have for commercial maps. There is one basic name plus alternative names in different languages. In the map you see your preferred language, if available, and search shows the same, but engine searches also in different languages. The issue is to keep in sync translated administrative areas and names of cities. We will probably try multiple languages for test. Any wishes beside name:en?
    thanks
       Martin
  • Hi Martin,

I could test name:sr-Latn if implemented.

Kind regards
    Thomas
  • FYI May 2012 are experimentally computed with language code in ['en', 'cs', 'sr']. There are already some issues like search for Wien = Vienna <> Vídeň, as mentioned sooner and it probably has to be synchronized during data processing ... we will see how people will like it.
    let me know your opinion
       thanks
           Martin
  • Hi Thomas,
    any comments? At the moment I have several bug reports related to display wrong names/languages for given country. This is a data processing bug and you may notice it if most frequent translation for given country is missing or is the same as original (currently only language codes ['en', 'cs', 'sr'] are tested). Reported mistake was in United Kingdom (201206040) and Poland (201205220). UK is recomputed and on update now. Because many regions could be affected we may postpone the fix to next data/planet.osm conversion.
    thanks
       Martin

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion