OSM: Please take motorroad into account for pedestrian and bicycle routing (was "remove trunk from")
  • Hi,

I recently tried to follow a pedestrian route and got stuck at the point when I was told to enter the highway (autobahn) which is tagged as trunk in the OSM data. Trunks are motorway like roads, so in most cases it should not be possible/allowed to enter these roads as pedestrian or with the bicycle. For that reason I would propose to remove trunks from the according routings unless pedestrians or bicycles are explicitly tagged (foot != no, bicycle != no).

I compared other routing machines on the OSM sites: GraphHopper seems to exclude trunks (don´t know if they take "foot" and "bicycle" into account) whereas Mapzen does the same as Mapfactor – the routing uses trunks as well which should be wrong in most cases.

Is threre anything which would contradict the proposed change?

Best regards,
    Kristian
  • 5 Comments sorted by
  • Edit: Mapzen told me that they use the following information:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access-Restrictions#Germany

I personally doubt that it is correct or at least reasonable and will discuss about it (there on the discussion page and in another forum).

Kristian
  • Edit 2: I just found that the mentioned ways (see example above) are tagged with "motorroad=yes". This means that only motor vehicles are allowed on these roads (see Wiki). So in fact it seems to be a bug in MapFactor and Mapzen that these roads are used for pedestrian and bicycle routing, independently from the discussion whether or not trunks should be used for them by default.
  • Hi,

has this been fixed alread? Don´t know whether it´s a bug in the map data or in the algorithm, thus in the application.
  • Just tested the routing with the new map but unfortunately there is no change. So it´s still not clear whether it´s a bug in the map data or in the routing engine. And mainly it´s still annoying to get wrong routes.
  • Still not fixed. It´s quite annoying because I assume that the fix would be a small one. There had been 2 or 3 application updates in the meantime, the latest one came today, but none of them took the chance.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion