Who provides the OSM maps for your Android app?
  • Hi,

your Android maps have some weird icons on them - one example: in Limerick, Ireland, there is a hotel with its own helicopter landing pad.
    Mapnik shows the correct icon; YOUR map, however, claims there is an AIRPORT on the hotel grounds - just as on the grounds of a large English emergency hospital.

What OSM renderer makes these changes?

Regards,

Jochen
  • 10 Comments sorted by
  • Hi Jochen,
    I cannot find it. Please provide exact location.
    regards
  • Hi, Tomas,

the hotel is at 52°41'04.44"   -8°42'45.82"  (POI in an app on my Palm Pre).
    I just noticed the other one in passing - would have to search for it.

Regards,

Jochen
  • it is marked as H on openstreetmaps, so I assume it is a helipad
  • Exactly - but in Navigator I see a little aircraft, and the info given by the app is ... err,... can't presently check, because when I started Navigator five minutes ago, it crashed straight away, and a new start led to a grey screen with a message which looks like Google Translator German - I guess it means "The completeness of the data is checked. Please wait."
    ...another few minutes later: it's finished checking; the info reads "Unknown (ID=1843622814) Airport".

• we do not have category helipad, so it is grouped with airports
  • By the way:

In OSM-database there are a lot of public toilets (amenity=toilets) on rest areas near motorways, in cities etc., but Navigator free doesn't show them. I think, there is a lot of people who sometimes need that information urgent and it would make our world a little bit cleaner if they would find them with the help of your router.

;)
  • Hi Jochen_K and hurdygurdyman,
    the list of "built-in" POI is quite limited. There are 82 categories, and if they are at least close enough we use them ... so OSM much richer in types/subtypes/icons ...
    We could add more types (how many I have to check), but an alternative is to use your own imports?? It is simple to drop heliports from processing but it is bit harder to add public toilets. Are there other POI types which should be surely integrated?
    thanks a lot
       Martin

• Hi, Martin,

Helipad = Airport, strange but acceptable.

But... FOREST = Airport? I came across this by accident when looking at the parking lots around the giant Hannover Fair - just tap 52°18'52"   9°48'45"

Regards,

Jochen
  • Hi Jochen,
    this is a bug in run-time ... I suppose that you click on the "Woodland" and you get info with Airport icon, right? Or you were able to find this "Airport" by find nearest or search by POI address?
    thanks
       Martin
    ----
    edit: drawing icon fixed - it will be available in build 0.11.12+
  • Hi, Martin,

I tapped the parking lot to the north of the wood and tapped "i" to see if there was a telephone number; I must have been on the border to the wood because I got that info as well.

Regards,

Jochen

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion