Feature Request: Display number of streets behind the city's name in search result list
  • One example: Hamburg is one of the biggest cities in Germany.

When you use the search function of Navigator 11 free by entering a place name and then a street name, you get these results when you are typing HAMBURG:

see picture at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/1/11/Mapfactor11free_Hamburg.PNG

By selecting the first obvious entry for Hamburg and scrolling the street list (or searching for known streets in Hamburg) you soon realize that this entry does NOT cover whole Hamburg.

Scrolling down the list of places containing "Hamburg", you have to choose entry #14 (!) to pick the right area that seems to contain really all streets of Hamburg.

This is IMHO a point where mapfactor navigator can be improved.

To find out a better structure of results when you type in the name of a place, is it possible to display the number of streets belonging to that place next to its name in the list? (maybe in a developer's version or via a switch in program settings?)

So we can find out whether all boundaries are correct in the OSM data so that Navigator can offer good search results.

Example list for place names (number of streets to each city here is just an estimated example!):

Hamburg (3561)

Berlin (4029)

Bremen (1922)

Buxtehude (419)

• 2 Comments sorted by
  • Hello Stephan,
    nice to see you on this forum :). You are right, this is the place where NavigatorFREE could be much improved. The "wrong" Hamburg jumps on the first row, because of the exact match, but it is not good in this case. I know that you asked for this feature a long time ago - there could be improvement as is_in tag is also used these days.
    thanks for your help
       Martin

• Hi Martin and all others, I am pleased to join :-)

As far as i know, the is_in tag is not so much in love in these days, because it was used years ago to define where a street belongs to, namely a certain place or city.

This method has become obsolete with the invention of boundary relations and their admin_levels in the raw OSM data.

When I remeber correctly, mapfactor's Navigator is assembling its list of places for a certain country from these boundary relations.
    My investigation has grown so far that for Germany in many cases those relations with admin_level=7 or admin_level=8 are needed to get all really existing places with their areas (as far as these areas are already included in the OSM data, there are still some missing!)

These many entries in the search result list when you type HAMBURG have their origin in processing boundary relations with admin_level=10 (or even =9) which are defined for suburbs.

We will have to evaluate whether suburbs or other sub divisions of big cities are relevant in the Navigator's database of all places.

When my idea should be not so wrong, what about taking the now existing Navigator's data and export that list of all "found" places of germany to a text file, for example.

Then modify the address database creation by NOT including boundary relations with admin_level higher than 8 ... and export the list to a text file ... then compare these two lists about differences.

I believe that no important data is missing :-)

Maybe we have then only about 4 entries in Navigator's search result when typing HAMBURG?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged