Route not found when startingpoint is in an access = no, delivery, private(?), etc. area
  • Hello,

When I drive to work I have access to a parking area behind our working-building. This road to that area is private and has only access for delivery. So in Openstreetmap it is tagged as: "access = delivery". So, it is not an road for public access!

So, when I want to drive home... my starting point is on that private road... 
    What happens when I want to calculate a route home? "Route not found!" (Yes, GPS is on and working.) 

Behind the gate of that private road ... everything works normal.

IMHO, this is a bug. Mapfactor Navigator should just ignore any "access" tags for the STARTING point of a route. Because... well, we are there!

Greetings,
    Ando

EDIT:
    Well, "access=customers" is okay. It is only "access=delivery" not working...
  • 2 Comments sorted by
  • Hi,

I agree with Ando with one exception.
    When we have a GPS lock on that position MNF should calculate it as, just as Ando says: "We are there already".

However, when we are on the sofa calculating/simulating a route, or from a start to an "unreachable" destination, it is OK with me if MNF tells me there is no route. Otherwise I can calculate a route from/to between the legs of the Eiffel tower in Paris (48.8583332.294167)  or straight in front of the St. Peter basilica in Rome (41.90211912.453406).
    That's not very realistic, so in that case MNF must give the warning.

Edit: Or even better, as I already requested earlier in a feature request: MNF should tell me something like "unroutable destination. Do you want to calculate a route to the nearest possible destination of your desired destination?".
    Sometimes that will result in an undesirable destination and sometimes it will give you exactly what you want.
  • I agree with both ones with one additional remark: I live at restricted area marked with access=destination. I cannot calculate any route neither from nor to my home. I think access=destination, designed for this purpose, should allow calculating route even on the sofa.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged