Google search not working
  • When google searching, answer is always shown as "No Result".
  • 13 Comments sorted by
  • I have installed MapFactor Navigator free (MNf)on aprox. 5 Sony Ericsson phones without the problem you have described but I have also installed MNf on a Samsung Galaxy Note once and an Oppo U7011 once.  Both of these installations exhibited the problem you describe whereby the Google search returns the answer as 'No Result'
    The problem with the Samsung Galaxy Note was resolved with a complete 'Delete', using the standard Android System tools and then an 'Install' of MapFactor Navigator free from the Android 'Play Store'.

I suspect there is an underlying problem with MapFactor and I will contact the authors to see if we can isolate the root cause of this issue.
    br 2pipestwice (retired Electronics Consultant)
  • we have made some changes for the next release, please try it
    http://directions.ltd.uk/apk/navigator_1_0_11.apk
  • Hi Tomas
    I note the URL is '.uk' Does this apk work in Thailand and if yes, can I just install over the top of MNf or do I have to do a complete delete and re-install?
    I should be able to update you on my results early next week.
    br Dennis (2pipestwice)
  • it is MNf, just install it over previous version
  • Hi Tomas
    I performed a clean install (MNf never installed before) on a Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo (Hallon); Android 2.3.4.
    I used 'Astro' to install MNf.
    I started MNf and downloaded all required files and the Thailand OSM map.
    I am located in Chiang Mai and searched for "University".
    'No Result' was returned.
    I have previously installed MNf, 1.0.0, on an IDENTICAL Neo with no problems, the MNf search function works perfectly.  As I have two identical Neo's I could transfer any files or directories from one Neo to the other one in an attempt to ascertain the root cause.  I don't know if this could help you with the diagnosis.  Of course, I am also open to any other suggestions in order to help resolve this problem.
    br Dennis
    p.s. I have spent this morning confirming the problem is the 'Google' search function in MNf and not an internet connection or any other problem.  This was by a combination of searching for 'University' on a working MNf Neo using web 'Google' and MNf 'Google'.  I then repeated the search on the non-working MNf 'Google' Neo to confirm my findings.  The only 'No Result' was returned on the MNf version 1-0-11
  • can you let me have what exactly do you type in?
  • I type "univ" and then select the 'Google' auto complete 'university' by touching 'university'
    I then start the search by touching the 'magnifying glass' in MNf
    Please note:  My method of searching is identical in both phones though the results are different; one produces the correct answer and the other phone has 'No Result'
    br Dennis
  • close Navigator and delete data in Android settings/application
    manager/Navigator - then reboot your phone. If this does not help,
    please email logs (navigator/log folder)
  • Hi Tomas
    Apologies but my investigation has produced an interesting result and I am now no longer able to reproduce the search failure mode so cannot test as you requested.
    As I stated earlier, the phones are identical however, there is one very important difference viz the phone with the MNf 'Working' Google search function has a known good SIM card.  The phone with the MNf 'non-Working' Google search function does not have any SIM card fitted.  The .apk was loaded via Astro and the requisite files downloaded via Wi-Fi.
    Placing the known good SIM in the phone with the MNf 'non-Working' Google search function miraculously produced a MNf 'Working' Google search function.
    To confirm this test I tried inserting the good SIM into a 3rd phone with the MNf 'non-Working' Google search function and again, I have a MNf 'Working' Google search function.  I have tried to replicate the problem by performing an un-install but to no avail.  As stated earlier, a colleague cured the 'No Result' problem by performing an un-install followed by an install so this is not so surprising.

To summarise, this afternoon I have cured the 'No Result' problem on 2 phones, one with MNf version 1-0-0 and the second with MNf version 1-0-11 by simply adding a known good SIM to the phones that returned 'No Result' with the non-working MNf search function.

Hopefully, a little later this week I may be able to repeat this SIM test with the Oppo U7011 phone.

I have emailed the log files of the non-working / working phone to support at mapfactor dot com.
    Your comments, regarding my findings, would be appreciated,
    br Dennis
    p.s. Today I have performed many many repeatable tests on the working and non working phones until, at last, I have the reported results obtained by changing the SIM so, in my opinion, I do not feel this result is a 'per chance' occurrence.
  • I see, Google search needs connection, so did you have wifi switched on?
  • Hi Tomas
    Did you receive the log files I emailed to you?
    Hopefully today I can also email the log files from the Oppo U7011 that exhibits this Google search problem.

In my third post I wrote, "p.s. I have spent this morning confirming the problem is the 'Google' search function in MNf and not an internet connection or any other problem.  This was by a combination of searching for 'University' on a working MNf Neo using web 'Google' and MNf 'Google'.  I then repeated the search on the non-working MNf 'Google' Neo to confirm my findings.  The only 'No Result' was returned on the MNf version 1-0-11" so, the short answer to your question is yes, Wi-Fi was switched on.

Maybe I should have elaborated on my definition of a, "Known good SIM."  By this I mean a 'Test SIM' which does NOT have a GSM connection.  I use expired pre-paid SIMs as Test SIMs.  Interestingly, referring to the same MNf Google search problem reported in my first post with the Samsung Galaxy Note and the Oppo U7011: these are both primary phones with fully functioning GSM SIM's and Wi-Fi enabled.

I have seen something similar, once before on Android 2.3.4, with problems from a web based Google search due to no SIM being present.  The details are as follows:-
    WiFi enabled but no SIM present
    Perform a web based search: failure.  Unfortunately, I cannot remember the exact failure mode
    Insert a GSM or a Test SIM
    Perform a web based search: success
    Remove the SIM and perform a web based search: success

br Dennis
  • when GSM is not available, you must have wifi connection, otherwise you cannot search on Google - did you have wifi connection?
  • Is there any update for the windows version avilable as internet searching won't work on my application either.

Thanks

Jon

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion