Less steps to find a route, to make this or that in the app
  • What I really don`t like, is that I have to do many many steps through many windows- doesn`t matter, what I want to do.
    This is one of my most important point for MFN.

For example, finding a route, with start and end, without GPS (because often I look one day before I drive, to know when I have to start and so on):
    • It doesn`t work, when I want to do it over the tab "navigate". There I need GPS and I cannot enter a start, only an end.
    • I´ll do it with "search":
    1. Tap menu.
    2. Tap "search"
    3. Tap Adress
    4. (Tap country)
    5. Tap city, enter cityname, choose city (not so easy in mapfactor when you don`t know the region of the city!)
    6. Tap street, enter streetname, choose street (not so easy in mapfactor when you don`t know the region of the street!)
    7. Find housenumber. Many times impossible. Tap in the housenumber (only possible, if it found that one before).
    8. Set as start.
    9. It goes to the map (why???). Again tap menu.
    10. Tap "search"
    11. Tap Adress
    12. (Tap country and so on)
    13. Tap city, enter cityname, choose city (not so easy in mapfactor when you don`t know the region of the city!)
    14. Tap street, enter streetname, choose street (not so easy in mapfactor when you don`t know the region of the street!)
    15. Find housenumber. Many times impossible. Tap in the housenumber (only possible, if it found that one before).
    16. Set as end.
    17. Again it goes to the map (why???). Again tap menu.
    18. Tap on navigate doesn`t work- it takes another start location (that one I had one day before). So I tap on route-info.
    19. Tap on travel-route.
    20. Tap on "make the route"
    21. Tap on navigate. Wow, 21 steps.

Sygic:
    1. Tap on "search / navigate to"
    2. (Tap country and so on)
    3. Tap city, enter cityname (already after few letters the right city comes to choose), choose city
    4. Tap street, enter streetname (already after few letters the right street comes to choose, choose street
    5. Tap in the housenumber, the possible numbers are already shown. But you can choose also crossings. Tap your choice.
    6. Tap on navigate.
    7. The route is shown on the map, incl. time and distance.
    8. Tap on start. Now you start the navigation- after 8 steps.

OSMAnd:
    1. Tap on Dashboard
    2. Tap arrow (navigation)
    3. Different choices: Start or end to edit?
    4. For both different choices: My GPS-place, favourites, choose on map, adress
    5. I choose adress like in Sygic and Mapfactor. (Tap country and so on)
    6. Tap city, enter cityname (already after few letters the right city comes to choose), choose city
    7. You don`t have to tap "street", it`s already in the field for streetname. Enter streetname (already after few letters the right street comes to choose), choose street
    8. Tap in the housenumber, the possible numbers are already shown. Tap your choice. Or you go back and choose crossing street.
    9. Tap on an arrow like "okay".
    10. It automatically makes the route (because it always safes the last one, so it already has an end). You can see start & end as text, see the route on map, see time and distance.
    11. Tap on navigate. Now you start the navigation- after 11 steps but with as many choices as someone can dream of ;-) And everything in one place!
    12. If you want another end, you have altogether 18 steps, but much more comfortable than in mapfactor. Because in mapfactor you`re always leaded back to the map and from there you always have to go to the menu and so on and so on....

Tomorrow I`ll write more about these points....

• 5 Comments sorted by
  • 1. I see that you group under Sygic point 2., which really is many steps
    2. you do not need to click country if it is the same as in previous search, and the same applies for town and street
    3. when street numbers are available in the map data then you can search for it, for example New York/Manhattan/5th Avenue.
    Unfortunately house numbers are frequently missing in free maps, but are available in TomTom maps.
    Free maps are created by volunteers at www.openstrpeetmaps.org - anybody can join and help to make maps better using their local knowledge.

Having said this, you can type (speak) address in the built-in Google search.

• But built-in Google search needs Internet connectivity and that might be a problem in foreign countries. So preplanning a route at home for this is a good option.
  • When navigating with MFN it is not obligatory to set start. You may just select target and choose "Navigate" and MFB will navigate from the place you are. That reduces the steps you mention above by a number of 9...
  • I agree with Oldie. 
    I guess we all had our learning steps in the app and our initially less optimal steps to get to the result, but it is therefore better to first ask for guidance than to ask for feature requests when it is quite obvious that you're still in your learning curve and do not know the application well enough.

• Hello,
    well... I wanted to write the next day- but then other things went against this plan (my teeth and other things....).
    But now...

The example I wrote was: "Finding a route, with start and end, without GPS (because often I look
    one day before I drive, to know when I have to start and so on)".

In that case (almost always I do it like this: searching for a route one day before) often I need to choose the start and the target. And I only have Wifi but no internet in my tablet. And inside a flat the GPS often doesn`t find me. When I`m at friends or anybody else in their flat I cannot use internet / Wifi and cannot use GPS. I then often want to find a route, it`s not a rare case. I would like to have the possibility to find a route within a few steps, like OSMAnd and Sygic does it.

@tomas: "2. you do not need to click country if it is the same as in previous search, and the same applies for town and street."
    I know that. I made the example in each navigation app- example in the same way. So if I had a previous search for the same town as I want to navigate now, I don`t need to type it again in navigator and not in OSMAnd and not in Sygic.

Still I find it laborious.
    I`m not new to mapfactor.

I hope you listen to the opinions of navigator users.

Why I use mapfactor navigator ist the poi-search along the route. That`s a great possibility, what I really need.
    Thanks.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion