Less announcements during navigation
  • I'd really appreciate if I could reduce the announcements, for example from "Standard" to "Minimum". This is a problem I have with all navigation apps: they are talking too much, I don't need so many informations. For example when I have to go right, it's sufficient for me to get one announcement maybe 100m before, I don't neet to get it 1000m before, than again 500 metres later, maybe once again 200m before and than directly when I have to turn right...

The combination of display and minimum announcements would be perfect for me and if there was any app doing this I would use it...

So please, please think about this, I could imagine that many people have the same wish ;-).
  • 26 Comments sorted by
  • No problem,
    1. For speedcameras, look at menu - preferences, and disable 1000m.
    2. Be carefull with next point, make backup copy of files tts.xml and navigation.xml (folder navigator).
    3. Do not change too much, it is important e.g. remember about motorways!
    4. Edit file tts.xml (open it in notepad), find text 'Bw-2ml-10' and change text below 'in two miles' to shorter 'soon'. Save Your work.
    5. Test Your result, reboot Navigator.

It is not perfect.
    Do not delete distances, because You get wrong information/token.
  • Przemek, this won't do it. Replacing distance with "soon" does not solve the problem that the announcement will be repeated in 1000, 500 etc. metres.
  • Yes, but this is the only way do not hear in 1000, in 500 ..., but shorter 'soon', isn't it.
  • That much is true ;-)
  • It is even simpler:
    Edit the navigation.xml and check for the following statements for your language (note that these can vary slightly per language):

<!-- Roundabout in [100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 1000, 2000] [meters, yards, kilometers, miles]. Take the [first, second, ... twentieth] exit -->
          <type>roundabout_later</type>
          <file>Bw-,%DISTANCE_AND_UNIT,-10</file>
          <file>Cx-RO-00-01</file>      
          <file>Cz-RO-,%EXIT_NUMBER,-00</file>
          <file>B-FINISHER</file>
        </manoeuvre>
        <manoeuvre>
          <!-- Take slip road in [100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 1000, 2000] [meters, yards, kilometers, miles]. -->
          <type>sliproad_later</type>
          <file>By-SL-00-01</file>      
          <file>B-FINISHER</file>
        </manoeuvre>
        <manoeuvre>
          <!-- Take [left, right] in [100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 1000, 2000] [meters, yards, kilometers, miles].. -->
          <type>keep_where_later</type>
          <file>By-KW-0,%ROAD_SIDE,-01</file>      
          <file>B-FINISHER</file>
        </manoeuvre>

If these 3 are not within your language copy them from the "any_other" section.
    Then remove the lines with <file>....</file> and you will get empty messages.
    Same for some others that bother you like waypoints maybe.

In this case you only hear the immediate messages like: 
    go right;
    take the exit; 
    rounadabout, take 3rd exit
  • ... Better not, because 1000m before You can hear turn....
  • What do you mean?
    If these above mentioned messages are empty you don't hear the message to turn untill you are really at the turn.
    With those messages "disabled" you only hear the below mentioned messages immediately before you have "to do something". That is what he wants.

<manoeuvre_tts>
          <!-- Turn right to "street"-->
          <type>standard_now</type>
          <file>A-SM-0,%MANOEUVRE_ID,-00</file>
          <file>TTS-DIRECTION,%STREET_NAME</file>
        </manoeuvre_tts>
        <manoeuvre_tts>
          <!-- [Take sharp right, Turn right, Bear right, Carry on straight ahead, Bear left, Turn left, Take sharp left] to "street" in [100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 1000, 2000] [meters, yards, kilometers, miles] -->
          <type>standard_later</type>
          <file>By-SM-0,%MANOEUVRE_ID,-01</file>
        </manoeuvre_tts>

• @hvdwolf: Thank you! I didn't find german commands, everything is in english in the navigation.xml. How does the program know the german commands, is there some translating algorhithmus? If so, do I have to modify the english lines?

@
    PrzemekSupak: I think I didn' really understand you exactly, but maybe I try hvdwolf's solution first...
  • This post is split in two as it contained too many characters.

I mentioned it somewhere in another post. The navigation.xml contains the exceptions per language block.
    Every command is by default derived from the <languages>any_other</languages> block for recorded messages/voices and from the <languages>en</languages> for tts messages/voices.
    Every command is in there. If you want a different command in your language section, say in german, you need to copy one of the standard commands to the <languages>de</languages> section.
    The German de section is indeed not available yet, so you need to create that one between manouvres_set blocks.

Something like:
    (see next post)

• (See correction in this post )
      <manoeuvres_set>
        <languages>de</languages>
        <manoeuvre>
         <!-- Roundabout in [100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 1000, 2000] [meters, yards, kilometers, miles]. Take the [first, second, ... twentieth] exit -->
          <type>roundabout_later</type>
        </manoeuvre>
        <manoeuvre>
          <!-- Take slip road in [100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 1000, 2000] [meters, yards, kilometers, miles]. -->
          <type>sliproad_later</type>
        </manoeuvre>

• (Stupid max length of these topics)

<manoeuvre>
          <!-- Take [left, right] in [100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 1000, 2000] [meters, yards, kilometers, miles].. -->
          <type>keep_where_later</type>
        </manoeuvre>
      </manoeuvres_set>

Note that I removed the <file> commands

A checkbox to "only speak immediate command" would be better (or whatever you want to call it). So that would indeed be a feature request like you started this post with.
  • ...I don't know...
    'standard_now' is obvious,
    Problem, issue is with 'standard_later'.
    How to delete 2000, 1000, 500, maybe 400 and leave 300, 200, 100.
    If You delete Tts-direction..., You will not hear street name.
    If You del Bw..., You will not hear all this distance to manoeuwre.
    If You del By..., You will not hear what to do.
    IMHO at least some parts of 'standard_later' is very important.
    I think it is hard coded.
  • No, it is not hard coded. Nothing is hard coded w.r.t. tts.
    It is as I explained. If the command is not available in your language, the command is taken from the "any_other" languages section.

Take esperanto or latin: there is no section for it. This means that all tts commands are used from the "any_other" section.
    If you want a very special command in esperanto, you need to create your own command and add it to the navigation.xml (and of course in the case of esperanto you need to create the commands as well in the tts.xml and hope there is a tts language available in esperanto)

The sub phrases are configured in the tts.xml. These sub-phrases are combined in the navigation.xml in the "any_other" section. AND in your own language section if you made/want some changes. That is what I did for the nl section.
    The default "any_other" command in the navigation.xml is
        <manoeuvre>
          <!-- [Take sharp right, Turn right, Bear right, Carry on straight ahead, Bear left, Turn left, Take sharp left] in [100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 1000, 2000] [meters, yards, kilometers, miles] -->
        </manoeuvre>    

I copied that one, added it to the "nl" section and changed it to.
        <manoeuvre_tts>
          <!-- [Take sharp right, Turn right, Bear right, Carry on straight ahead, Bear left, Turn left, Take sharp left] to "street" in [100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 1000, 2000] [meters, yards, kilometers, miles] -->
        </manoeuvre_tts>

The original is: turn left/right in xyz meters/miles/yards
    My modified version is: in xyz meters/miles/yards, turn left/right into <streetname>
    (Note that my modifications are not yet in the google play store version or any other version. It is also a personal version)

• Sorry. I made a stupid mistake (some weeks ago already that I changed it)
    All recorded voices are taken from <languages>any_other</languages>
    All tts commands are taken from <languages>en</languages>
    You can also see the difference in
    recorded:
    <manoeuvre>
    </manoeuvre>
    and tts
    <manoeuvre_tts>
    </manoeuvre_tts>
    I was a bit too quick, but the stategy is the same.

• I installed the german language and it is working pretty well, so I don't need to add any further command. But: I didn't find any german word in the xml, so I assume that translation is made separately using the english version as template, correct?

What I found is a block for german language (but in english) starting with the line "    <languages>de,de-female-navilock,sv</languages>". And you mean I shall just delete all the lines starting with <file....? There are 6 blocks in the german part below <languages>de... with between 2 and 5 lines starting with <file... All to delete?

If the command comes just in time this would be OK for me (nevertheless a bit earlier would be better to allow reducing the speed in advance;-))...
  • Vielleicht auch für dich interessant: http://www.android-hilfe.de/mapfactor-navigation/616311-tts-links-halten-statt-leicht-links-abbiegen-2.html#post8164528

Der Beitrag ist älter und bezieht sich auf eine alte Version, aber die verlinkten Dateien sind aktuell.
    Ist nur relevant, wenn du die TTS-Stimme nutzt.
  • @Chattiewoman, thanks for the link, I read the thread and downloaded your files. I like that you obviously deleted the commands "calculation starting" and "destination reached".

I deleted in the navigation.xml the <file...-lines (without exactly knowing what I did:-)) below:
        <manoeuvre> <!-- [Take sharp right, Turn right, ...] in [100, 200, 300...]...
        <manoeuvre_tts> <!-- [Take sharp right, Turn right, ...] in [100, 200, 300...]...
        <manoeuvre> <!-- Roundabout in [100, 200, 300...]...
        <manoeuvre_tts> <!-- In x metern, im Kreisverkehr die xte Ausfahrt nehmen -->
        <manoeuvre> <!-- Take slip road in [100, 200, 300...]...
        <manoeuvre_tts> <!-- Take slip road in [100, 200, 300...]...
        <manoeuvre> <!-- Take [left, right] in [100, 200, 300...]...

This works well in the simulation, I hear the commands only once just at the point where it is required. Will see if this is too late sometimes:-).

Thanks a lot guys, this seems really to be what I wanted! I'll let you know about the results in real life;-).
  • @Walter: Some 8-10 days ago I merged chattiewoman's German version with my Dutch version and requested Mapfactor to add to the new build (like chattiewoman already asked since October 2014).

We will see whether and when these changes get implemented. 
  • OK, sounds good!

BTW, deleting the lines below "slip roads" was too much, then the motorway exits were ignored...;-)
  • After an update I had to copy and replace the navigation file again. But something happened to the tts file. After the update the german command for "recalculating the route" came up again even after I had copied the tts-file of chattiewoman. The interesting thing is: The german command "Neuberechnung der Route" is not included in the tts-file. Now I tried deleting the tts-file to see what happens: Result: Nothing changes, also after a reboot of the mobile. The tts-file obviously is not used any more. I searched the whole mobile and SD-card, no further tts-file. Any comments on this?
  • Those files are packed into the apk and unpacked upon install. That way you can change a couple of those xml files if you want that.
    If you copy the apk somewhere else and rename the extension to zip you can unzip it (like any other apk). 
    Anyway, when there is no tts.xml in its data folder MNF will simply use the one inside the apk.
  • Problem is different: I'm using Doris and just learned that no tts is used for recorded voice. But after I modified the navigation.xml last time and deleted some announcements all announcements for "Route being calculated/recalculated" and "destination in xxxm/ destination reached" were not spoken - even NOT with Doris voice. That was what I really appreciated. Now the question is, how can I switch off again all anouncements including "calculating" and "destination" commands?
  • Did you restart the app having replaced the files?
  • I ensured that the prg was closed (also killed a task).

Do you hear the comments (Route wird (neu) berechnet / Ziel in 500m (erreicht)) ?
  • Okay, this means something strange happened few weeks ago but was repaired unfortunately by the update.

What a pitty, it worked so nice just doing it without telling me uninteresting things about "recalculating route" and destinations...

Hope there is a "minimum information" mode sometimes!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged