*** Answered*** What is kitkat_hack MP3 file on my device?
  • Hello MapFactor Navigator gurus,

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 running Android 5.1.1 and have recently noticed a file called kitkat_hack.mp3 on my device.  This is inside of ../data/com.mapfactor.navigator/files/...

Please could you let me know if this is a valid file (and, if so, what is it?) or have I inadvertently downloaded something dodgy? 

Thanks,

Adele

• 7 Comments sorted by
  • I only have the /navigator folder under files. I haven't found any kitkat_hack file in any directory in com.mapfactor.navigator. I am running android 5.0.2 and navigator ver 2.0.31.
  • Thank you for your response Roldorf.  It is a bit worrying - the file has just appeared in the last few days.  I'm hoping it is a valid file but if there is no confirmation of that then I shall default my phone to factory settings and reset all of my passwords just to be on the safe side.  It shouldn't take too long -  don't have many apps installed and all my photos are on an SD card.

Thanks again for the reply.

Best wishes, 
    Adele  
  • it is just a silly name for file we use to test if we can right to that folder on kitkat and higher android version

• Thank you for your reply Tomas - (are you one of the developers of Navigator?).

How come it is not in Roldorf's folder too then? And why has it only just appeared - I've used Free Navigator on my phone since May this year when I got my new phone.

Thanks,
    Adele 
  • I am not developer, mainly support
    this file is only needed os SD card installations
  • OK - thanks Tomas.  Perhaps you can feed back to the developers to clean up these kind of tests when they are done. There are so many exploits around these days that use MP3 formats that it is always worrying to see files in your audio list that you do not recognise especially when the file name sounds a little strange as it does in this case...

Otherwise...  Navigator is a fantastic application... so this is my only complaint. 

Many thanks for your reply and very best wishes,
    Adele 
  • Just one more comment on this before I go...  the kitkat_hack.mp3 is not, in fact, on my SD card but on my device storage under the com.mapfactor.navigator.  I have Navigator folders on both the local device storage and the SD card...   

I'm not going to worry about it too much now as it is obviously something relating to testing of Navigator rather than anything sinister, but I add this comment in case others come to this forum with similar concerns so they know where the file was on my device.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion