Adding height profile to routes and other improvement suggestions
  • Hi. I'd like being able to show a height profile once a route has been calculated. Can you add a button somewhere in the map that users easily can show the height profile for the whole track and also see on which position they currently are? Therefore you could program a small bar that moves from left to right through the profile, but please always show the whole profile of the complete route.

Also I would like you to add a scale in the vehicle profile settings where users can choose whether Navigator shall calculate routes that have lots of altitude differences in a short way or that have little altitude differences in the same way size. I think this option was especially helpful for bikers and walkers as they could influence how hilly or flat their route shall be(come).

Third I would like you to calculate the actual time of a route not by the top speed set in the vehicle profile settings but by the real conditions - as for bikers also consider the altitude that needs to be passed.

Fourth I would like you to change the way Navigator counts the time that has been passed since the beginning of the navigation. If there is no driving I would like Navigator not to count any time. Therefore pause the timer until there is movement again.

Thanks for realizing these ideas ;)
    Udo
  • 9 Comments sorted by
  • @Oldie said: "For me the difference is, that topographic maps use a bunch more information from the OSM world data, than is necessary for navigation purposes."

I fully agree. If you take a look at OsmAnd you get very high detailed and very big maps. For walking/hiking this is excellent. For car navigation it is simply too much and distracting. Next to that comes that the OsmAnd rendering engine is very heavy in CPU and memory, and quite slow. Not because the engine as such is slow, but due to all those details that need to be rendered. 
    OsmAnd also has "roads only" maps (name is self explanatory) which are much faster and fluent in rendering but are indeed completely empty. The mix in MNF maps for cars is excellent, be it that I want to be able to switch of the 3D rendering of houses (but that's another topic).

Adding (much more) detail might lead to the same sluggish screen rendering as OsmAnd has. In slow changing walking conditions (5 km/h) this is not a problem at all. At 70-120 km/h it requires a fast phone.
  • we know altitude from GPS (where you are), but I do not think that this information is in map data

• Ah, I see. That's too bad. Is there no way for Navigator to "read out" altitude profiles from maybe another map?
  • I think that these maps contain altitude information: http://www.openandromaps.org. You think they might be integrated in Navigator and used instead of the current ones?
  • may be, but it is a lot of work and who knows what the licence says
    I would not expect anything soon
  • Hi Udo: Note that the andromaps are very specifically tailored towards cycling/hiking, and not at all for car navigation.

I do like your idea though and I think a good alternative would be the elevation data from http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/ from the ferranti folders.
    This is open data and contains "digital elevation data", and only elevation data. It could be used as overlay for any map.
    It would require a "plugin" though for MNF.
  • <quote>I think that these maps contain altitude information</quote>

That is one reason, why openandromaps for example for Germany are double as big (1,6 GB) as MFN maps (0,8GB). If you use hillshading and brouter with openandromaps you even need something as 0,5 GB more. This ratio is even greater, if you have country with just a few roads for example through deserts like Algeria. Openandromaps has 454 MB and MFN is just 21 MB, so twenty times less.

That is, why I think, those two maps are something completely different.
  • Those data is raster, we are using vector data. We were experimenting with it year ago. Data were too heavy so I tried to transform it into contour maps and transfer it by digger into navigator. @mdx was testing it during his vacation and he seemed to find it useful BUT amount of countour lines are too much for current renderer so we decided to make working GLES renderer first and then we will see.
  • No OAM is vectorial as well.

"OpenAndroMaps offers downloadable vector maps for smartphones for free." from http://www.openandromaps.org/en/

For me the difference is, that topographic maps use a bunch more information from the OSM world data, than is necessary for navigation purposes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion