GPX Import as route/track
  • I am using Mapfactor free on SGS2 and am very happy with it.
    I would appreciate the possibility to import a GPX track, that I created before I get started.
    The reason is: I am a motocyclist and am used to plan "nice" tours, on specific nice streets.
    My planning tool is www.motoplaner.de, which exports gpx routes.
    In my opinion, such a function would make the mapfactor free even more outstanding as it is already now.
    kind regards - jupjup2
  • 20 Comments sorted by
  • PS: the above mentioned motoplaner is exporting GPX waypoints. Related to the number of created waypoints, a navi-software may make slight changes to the planned route. 
    jupjup2
  • Hello,

with DiggerQT You are able to import a GPX track to MF. The track is shown on the map in the chosen colour.

Regards
  • thx a lot frisian
    I downloaded that DiggerQT and tryed out - but...
    I get an error: Error: mapFactor exception: all objects were banned, no data to import...
    Driver Type is GPS Driver (GPX)
    Details:  ... 1 Records (type: line) - and then "connected"
    I googled a little bit around and found only quite complicated workarouns with changing format to csv ...
    I think, things should be easier to manage.
    1. do you have any hints, links, that I could look after?
    2. and, if I could go to get it done, in the navigation itsself, do I get speech-navigation for the generated route?
    nice weekend - Gerd

• Hello,

here something that I found here on the forum:

"With NavigatorFree12 and DiggerQt 12 it is very easy to import a track.
    I did it with an ordinary track-gpx-file, made some settings in DiggerQT (changed the style for the line, [line width
    for detail zoom --> 8, minimal line width --> 4, shrinking ratio --> 33, fill colour -->0053D9 {blue}])
    and exported the result to my data-folder with the *mca files."

But You will only see the track on the map without speech-navigation. If You want speech-navigation You probably have to import only the main waypoints of Your track as GPX-file with DiggerQT set a starting point, following waypoints and destination point and let MF calculate the route. To get the waypoints as a GPX-file I would recommend this site: www.gpso.de/maps.

Regards

• Hello,
    I have a similar problem.
    I want to import waypoints for a route, either as csv or gpx.
    The original file was a gpx file (as route) from Motorrad-Strassen.eu routes.
    I use RouteConverter 2.10 to convert the gpx.file to a csv.file.

But either if I import the original gpx.file or the csv.file with diggerqt ( save configuration und run import) I got the message:
    Error: mapFactor exception: can't open file 'C:\Program Files\DiggerQT\import\West\digger_config.dcb'

What is this digger_config.dcb. I don´t have this one in my files!?

Regards
  • Hello,

here are some more information that I found in this forum when searching for DiggerQT:

font-family:Arial">"Very nice is to generate a route with http://osrm.at . Here
    you can export a gpx-file based on OpenStreetMap-maps.

font-family:Arial"> Import the gpx-file into DiggerQT. DiggerQT should tell you
    in the second window "Imported data meaning: Meaning of imported data is
    line"

font-family:Arial"> On the next window double-click into the empty white cell
    under "Style" and play with the possible values there. Good is
    "line width for detail zoom = 8, minimal line width = 4, shrinking ratio =
    10". Important is the "fill colour". Change it into a nice
    (visible) color like green (15D900). Confirm with "OK"

font-family:Arial">I usually change the value from "Maximal zoom"
    into 1 000 000, so the line is good visible, when zooming far out.

font-family:Arial"> if you don't work with Digger 12, than download it from
    here:

http://download.mapfactor.com/digger_12.zip

font-family:Arial"> With this version you can import gpx-files.

font-family:Arial"> Put your own created map into that folder, where all the
    other mca-files are."

Regards

• Hello frisian,

thanks for your help, but::::

font-family:Arial">"Very nice is to generate a route with http://osrm.at . Here

you can export a gpx-file based on OpenStreetMap-maps.

I already have prepared gpx.files, so I don´t want to create new ones.

font-family:Arial"> Import the gpx-file into DiggerQT. DiggerQT should tell you

in the second window "Imported data meaning: Meaning of imported data is

line"

I have this issue

font-family:Arial"> On the next window double-click into the empty white cell

under "Style" and play with the possible values there. Good is

"line width for detail zoom = 8, minimal line width = 4, shrinking ratio =

10". Important is the "fill colour". Change it into a nice

(visible) color like green (15D900). Confirm with "OK"

I changes the style that way, but it does not solve the problem

font-family:Arial">I usually change the value from "Maximal zoom"

into 1 000 000, so the line is good visible, when zooming far out.

I changes the zoom that way, but it does not solve the problem

font-family:Arial"> if you don't work with Digger 12, than download it from

here:

I already use version 12

I still have the problem, that I am not able to start the import, always message :

"Error: mapFactor exception: can't open file 'C:\Program Files\DiggerQT\import\West\digger_config.dcb'"

regards

• Hello,

I would download Digger again. Unzip the file to an empty folder, start digger and try it again. I had so far no problems with importing tracks as well as waypoints in GPX-format to MF. The tracks are shown as line, the waypoints with surname, firstname on the map after the resulting mca-file was stored into my folder with MF maps. I followed the instructions that I found in this forum:
    1. Start Digger
    2. Create a import by giving a name to it like "track 1"
    3. Press "Next"
    4. Select data source type "GPX Exchange Driver"
    5. Select the GPX track file to be imported and press "Open"
    6. Press "Next"
    7. Double click into the empty field under the column "Style" and make the changes mentioned before (changed the style for the line, [line width for detail zoom --> 8, minimal line width --> 4, shrinking ratio --> 33, fill colour -->0053D9 {blue)
    8. Press Next"
    9. Check "Name" if You import waypoints and want the name shown on the map
    10. Press "Next"
    11. Press "Next"
    12. Press "Save and run import"
    13. Press "Close"
    The created file is stored into the "Import"-folder that was created when unzip Digger. Copy and paste the file into the folder with the MF maps.

Regards
  • Hello,

thanks I solved the problem!
    I was a right problem.
    I had only administrator rights on the direcctories. Therefore the file *.dcb could not be made!?
    After changing the rights I got the mca file.
    Now I have a line in my map. The line is the direct line between the routepoints, but not a route. I can´t drive the direct way between the points!!!
    I want to have the points as routepoints!
    Therefore I converted the gpx.file to waypoints (originally it was line).
    Now I have the points just as Pois in the map, just on the same place where my line is changing the direction.
    But how can I get them as routepoints? My older routes, that I saved, are in the file routing_points.xml.
    There I want to have my routepoints, so that I can use this points for navigation.
    Is this possible?

regards

• Hello,

in the menu that opened when You click on the "destination button" there You will find in favourites also the imports like tracks and waypoints. Click on one of the imported waypoints, in the next menu You can then use the point as waypoint, starting point, destination of a route to be calculated, navigate directly to this point or show it on the map. You could also directly click in the map on Your shown waypoints and set the point in the  pop-up menu as start, destination or waypoint of a route to be calculated.

Regards
  • Hi friends,
    I have not the possibility to be online too often.
    Thank you all for your responses, that I have read only partwise up to now.
    Above all, I have the impression, that it would be a good idea for mapfactor to implement a gps import with speech support in the main program. In this case, it must be recognised clearly and said, that a lack in waypoints may cause quite funny detours.
    Now I start to work throug your useful hints.
    regards Gerd

• Hello,

to frisian:
    I know that way, but with about 50 waypoints it´s a bit inconvenient!

To jupjup2 and mdx:
    I used TomTom with my old (Windows) Smartphone and I often used prepared routes as itn.files from motorcycle magazines for my travels.
    Therefore it would be very helpful to have the possibility to import gpx or itn.files routes as routepoints., so that one can use these routepoints for own routes.

regards
  • Hello frisan,
    that hint to http://download.mapfactor.com/digger_12.zip helped me a much.
    Before I had v.11 and I did not know about v12 bevore,
    Now my gpx import works fine.
    I will (as soon as I can) report about my experiance on the road.
    regards - Gerd
  • Hello jupjup2,

does your gpx import produce lines or routes?
    Can you navigate directly with your gpx import or do you have to transfer the line or waypoints to routepoints?

regards
  • Hello,

if I import a GPX-file with waypoints, for example with persons that I have to visit, I have given a name to every single waypoint and also to the GPX-file. After importing the file with Digger to MF, I open "Imports" click on the name of the imported file and a list with every single waypoint and the keyboard pops-up. Now I'm able to search the waypoints by name and use the selected ones to my wish (start point, waypoint, destination or import them to favourites).
    You won' t get a speech-navigation with imported GPX. On the map is only the coloured track line or in case of waypoints the icon with the name of the waypoints if You choose this option in Digger. You could also use the PC-version of MF. I would import the tracks to the PC-version of MF and define starting- and destination-point and between them enough waypoints beginning at the starting-point that the calculated routing-line and track-line are identical. Before beginning with a new track delete all previous waypoints from the list "Routing points" Save the route in "My routes" and export the file to the PNA. If are already routes saved on the mobile device paste and copy only the content of the file.

Regards

• There is a new Android App, that works real good.

Route-Importer für MapFactor

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kadiba.routeimporter

Tested with .gpx and .itn files.
  • It works great!
    Thanks for the tip
  • Access rights ?

Access to SD/USB storage, that's ok, but why does this app need access to all networks?

Uli

from the app description:
    "Sonstige
    • Zugriff auf alle Netzwerke
    • Netzwerkverbindungen abrufen"

• this is purely to suspend sound when incoming call arrives
  • Thx, Fratzfelix,

that's a great tool.

But I only can give one hint: Do not ever use osrm.at for creating a routeable gpx-file. There are to many waypoints in it.
    osrm.at is perfect for use with digger to draw a line onto the maps (as I wrote earlier). So, routeconverter.de is in my opinion the best way for Route-Importer.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged