cant get route without GPS signal
  • Sitting in my house trying to plan my journey, I've set the Destination and Departure points...then... Nothing.

Its waiting for GPS signal... Why can't we get the route without GPs

There are lots of reasons why people may wish to view or even change their route in advance while still at home (with intermittent GPS signal if any)

This one bug/quirk/oversight is my only complaint about an otherwise excellent app (thanks!), I don't use a Google android flavour smartphone, and this does the job nicely... But only when it has access to GPS, which tbh is rubbish.
  • 6 Comments sorted by
  • I did not want to be rude and neither am I stressed or angry.
    The whole post boils down to not knowing the product (which is no shame as we all started that way, and the user manual is terribly hard to find. It should be a sticky in the top of this forum), but the post is assuming it is the products fault (why .., there are lots of reasons.., This one quirk/bug/oversight). Never there is something like "I'm new to the product and maybe I miss ...", "how can ..", only "hints" on what is wrong with the product.
    The last sentence in that first post was a blunt, oversimplified conclusion. Which I counteracted the same way.  ;)
    And I started my post by first explaining how it could/should be done.
  • Did you use from the menu "Tools->Calculate route"?
    Because that works great and you can also simulate a route from that menu.
    all without GPS.

If that's not the case then please work your way through the app to understand it, or ask first whether it is possible, instead of making (final) remarks that it is rubbish based on assumptions that lack any background knowledge.

• I did not say the app was rubbish, please read through posts properly before making final assumptions about what someone is saying.

and no, i did not try Tools > Calculate Route ...not sure why there are 2 different ways to achieve the same thing!
  • Which two ways to achieve the same thing?

One thing is to navigate. Therefore you use the navigate button and the app will navigate from the place where you are (set by GPS and not using any given departure point) to your destination.

Another thing is route planning or whatever you want to call it. Therefore you use tools/calculate and it will calculate your route from a given departure point (not set to the place set by GPS) to your destination.

That is, how it works with MF Navigator and I find it ok, though it works different as other apps did I used before.
  • Hi john23,
    Tools calculate route allows you to calculate a route without needing a GPS signal. I also have other navigation apps that do the same thing.
    Like yourself I don't quit understand why you can't write the software to check first if there is a departure point set manually to just calculate and show the route.
    Both answers seem a little abrupt if not rude and I am surprised to see this reaction from two usually very helpful forum members.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion