Navigator Free POI Search
  • Apologies if I am missing something really obvious, I am a new user to PC Navigator Free in Australia.

When I do a POI search by current location I see results no problem but if I want to do a search "by address or name" I can select Australia fine then at the next step where it asks for City/Region/Postcode the list is very small and my city is not listed, in fact not many are, Perth is not listed.  Am I doing something wrong or missing something really obvious, how best to find POI's around a certain area?  The data must be there in the map as I can see these POI's at current location just cant search by City?

Thanks!

• 9 Comments sorted by
  • Well, the search function in PC Navigator really doesn't give anything to Perth Australia, when searching by adress and name. I think, the search engine is not as new as the engine from the android-version. A search here gives you a lot of informations.

So, I you're using an android device too, than a search will give you (nearly) all you need. With a WinCE-device or on Windows the search is not as good.

• try to select ANY for town and continue to category
  • Thanks guys. I am using the PC version, don't have an android device to test with.

I did try the ANY category, that does find results but none of them are in my area, they seem to only belong to the limited list of areas in the City/Region selection?

I am not sure, maybe this is by design but I would have thought if openstreetmaps.org has the data there then it would be the same here in PC navigator as it is using the same maps?

Or perhaps as suggested the search engine in the free version of navigator is limited somehow? Searching by current location works fine so there is data there.
  • please give example what you are searching for
  • Thanks tomas, searching for anything really.  I am just thinking of a scenario where I don't want to search for POI's at my current location, I want to find something at another location on the way to a destination for example.  An example would be finding somewhere to eat or some petrol at a location/suburb on the way to where I may be heading.   I thought I would be able to search by that suburb, perhaps I am mistaking something?

I thought I would be able to select Australia and then my city but that is where I stop right there, very few Australian towns/cities are listed there, even capital ones like Perth?  Major ones like Sydney/Melbourne/Adelaide are in there but no Perth, Darwin Brisbane etc 
  • problem is that, in free map, POIs are very often not linked to any admin area
    you can search near destination, or near map centre, so finf place, select show on map and then perform POI search near map centre

• Ahh that makes sense.  Just dragging the map around clicking on the area I am interested in then searching by current map position works fine.

I did try looking at some POI's that do work (or are listed in Sydney for example) and some that don't in JOSM looking at raw OSM data but I couldn't see the difference.  

What you suggested works so I am happy, thanks for your help!
  • Hi happyg,
    you can try the latest 14.3 - just for test (similar to Android Navigator 1.5.x):
      http://download.mapfactor.com/setup_pc_navigator_14_3_2_1_exp150401_cb88bd1536.exe
    It is combination of search around map center + filter with entered user text ... but maybe it will be too slow??
    let me know
       Martin
    p.s. I see Perth there (actually twice) ... and it is #2, which you are probably interested
  • Thanks mdx, that did the trick!

Regards
    Aaron

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion