Thanks, and feature request
  • Just a note to say Thanks for a fantastic application (MFN 1.3.24). Just completed a 5000 km trip in motorhome through BC, Washington, Oregon, and California, using MFN all the way. It was fantastic to have updated maps available offline at all times. 

I've identified lots of ideas for improvements, and think that some of them would be great fodder for a "premium" paid version. Top of my list are:

1. Display a scale bar on the maps - it's very easy to get disoriented while zooming through different map views
    2. Retain the "set-by-user" map scale when cycling through the three views during navigation. It is disorienting to have the map always revert to the default zoom factor.
    3. Two-finger-to-measure feature should work while in navigation mode - it currently only works when not actually navigating.
    4. Some method to indicate that I want to take a different route than is currently offered by the optimizer. What I have been doing is to introduce waypoints, but that's a kludge because they are OFTEN located slightly "off-route" which introduces "false track" into the route. What I want is to touch the map (similar to a waypoint), but then to tell MFN that I want to travel "close" to this point, and then to ignore it once I get nearby to it. (Not a good explanation, but I hope you get my meaning.)

• 10 Comments sorted by
  • The 4-th point - Your own optimiser:
    In preferences You can add 'cars' with Your own roads preferences (try increase motorway and the biggest one to 68).
    Each this car /change them and check the best/ show You slight different routing.
  • 3. you can do it with v 1.3.24
  • Just checked with 1.3.24 - it does not measure distance when Navigating. Works fine after "stop navigation". Running on Google Nexus 7 tablet.

• >>>In preferences You can add 'cars' with Your own roads preferences (try increase motorway and the biggest one to 68).
    Each this car /change them and check the best/ show You slight different routing.

I don't understand what you mean about "... biggest one to 68"
      - biggest what?
      - what is 68?  Is it associated with the blue star on the road definition? If so, what is its meaning?

I would like to learn more about managing the optimizer, but haven't found any documentation about how it works and the meanings of the various settings. Can you suggest some online resources?

• Sorry, it was too short.
    You can set preferences: MENU - settings - navigation - vehicle type - car/edit /set Your own vehicle pararmeter, and road restrictions/

On android: SETTINGS - vehicle type - car /vehicle parameter and the second tab road restrictions/

Try set preferences for Motorway, Primary Road, Major road and Second Road to 68, Local Connection Road, Local Road of High Importance to 56.

Check Your routing!

Now You can add additional car with other preferences - check which is better and please tell us which is the best.

• I don't understand what you mean about "... biggest one to 68"
      - biggest what?
      - what is 68?  Is it associated with the blue star on the road definition? If so, what is its meaning?

In your (car) profile you can select speeds and road preferences. By default all roads are set to 50 (%?) preference.
    If you increase the preference for a certain road, Navigator will favour these ones over other ones.
    67 is to my idea very high. I also play with these preferences but I move between 50-55. A couple of months ago I also used higher values, but the routing gets way too biased if you make them that high (to my experience that is).
  • "67 is to my idea very high"

Yes, but sometimes it is minimum to avoid the center of the towns. Better maps and 50 (%?) should be enough.
  • I live in Rome and roads are 'chaotic'. I don't drive much here, but sometimes I have to. I want to try with "shortest" instead of "fastest" to see what difference it makes when driving across the city. I still believe that "fastest" is better when going outside of town. Sorry it this is off topic.
  • All roads lead to Rome!
    I noticed, that the routing is almost perfect, when every road has its 'own' speedrestrictions.
  • Yes, maxspeed-informations added to every road are needed to calculate fastest route. A lot of towns minimized maxspeed under urban standard and so routers ar helpless without maxspeed and calculate with their own inplemented speed for any roadtype. We had that also in Milano getting stupid route through the town instead of the western ring because of missing maxspeed on inner city ring.
    And so I invite everyone to add maxspeed in OpenStreetMap-database whereever its missed until now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged