How to import my POI (Points of Interest) to Navigator FREE
  • With OpenStreetMap data you have two options:
    1) Add your data to the source, i.e. openstreetmap.org. You will then see your update when we release the next set of MCA files for that country. This way you can also share your data with others.
    2) Import the data directly in to Navigator (this way your POI are not automatically added to the openstreetmap.org database). Download the import utility for Windows PC (http://download.mapfactor.com/digger_10_0_57_exp120101_8ca2c32e11.rar [edit link]) and create your own MCA file. Note, that this way you can import only points.

Edit:
    version 12.x (and Android) http://download.mapfactor.com/digger_12.zip
    version 11.x: http://download.mapfactor.com/digger_11.zip

older version 10.x: http://download.mapfactor.com/digger_10.rar

• 107 Comments sorted by
  • Hello

I installed Navigator 11 FREE and tried to import the POI files generated with digger. This does not work, I get the message "You have installed new Maps, which are not supported ba the application: Filename, please install new version." The import worked with Navigator 10 FREE.

How can this be solved?

regards
    yogi
  • Hi, it is "work in progress" - hopefully next week there will be a new conversion utility (digger version 11)
    regards
    Martin
  • Hello, Any News on the Digger Version 11.
    Thanks
    Chris
  • Hi,

If it is of use to anyone have batchmade a load of POI from the Garmin POI website and converted them to mapfactor with digger 10.

Please note I cannot confirm their accuracy, but would appreciate some input if they are any good.

http://www.rpg-systems.com/import.zip

thanks

Dagaz
  • Hi,
    here is very first experiment with digger version 11. It is work in progress, and there are many issues (like you cannot browse for icon, so you have to fill the path manually), but ... let me know about problems.
    http://download.mapfactor.com/digger11_110701_exp110715_cbe0e4a8a3.zip
    regards
    Martin

Edit:
    version 11.x: http://download.mapfactor.com/digger_11.zip
  • Hello Martin,
    I have try the new version with a csv file. I get an error on the second page by clicking the "next" button.
    The csv file contains only two lines:
    lat,lon,note
    12.394639,5.44106,xyz

In the Log-file I found the following entrys:
    ERR 2011/07/01 18:29:52 XPathNode: can not access source file: C:\Users\Lnb\Downloads\NavigatorFree_install\digger11_110701_exp110715_cbe0e4a8a3\digger11_110701\import\MyPOI\digger_config.xml
    ERR 2011/07/01 18:29:52 XPathNode: can not access source file: C:\Users\Lnb\Downloads\NavigatorFree_install\digger11_110701_exp110715_cbe0e4a8a3\digger11_110701\import\MyPOI.mca\digger_config.xml

What went wrong?

Best regards
    JosHom
  • There is some serious mistake - I removed the link. I am sorry Martin
  • In digger:
    http://download.mapfactor.com/digger11_110711_exp110715_a83c7e27ac.zip
    is fixed bug with default conversion system. There is still problem with search, but at least you should see icons on the map ... I expect another update soon.
    Martin
  • search fixed into
    http://download.mapfactor.com/digger11_110712_exp110720_1056881ec8.zip
    If you find any problem, please let me know
       thanks
    Martin
  • Hi Martin,

just tried to import a csv using digger11 - worked until I tried to set the icon. You wrote, that the path has to be filled in manually. OK so far, but how can I do this:-?

Regards
    Michael
  • Double click on Style (normally there would be default icon already), in the tree view you should see icon\file name, click on three dots (browse) and that should be it ... worked?
    thanks
       Martin
  • I tried DIgger11 with a trial file and it didn't crash, so I should assume it's worked. My problem now is where do I find the info I wanted to import? Has it been incorporated into Navigator already? Is it one (or more) of the files in the newly created "Import" folder inside Digger folder? Where is the POI file (If any) in Navigator?
    Thanks

Adriano
  • Hello Martin,

doubleclicking "style" did the job - thx!

Michael
  • Hello,
    having succeeded in creating an .mca file I am now facing with the problem that Navigator crashes as soon as I try to visualize the newly imported POI's on the map. The chosen icon doesn't show up, cold that be the problem? It showed up during the editing with digger though....

Thanks

Adriano
  • Hello,
    I have dome some more experiments and can give some hints for a fix:

- data are imported from .xls -- file is recognized and everything seems to work
    - I tried both dd mm.mmm and dd.ddddd with same results
    - Nav crashes if I ask to show POI on the map straght after selecting it from table
    - Nav doesn't crash if I save POI in favourites and disply it in a separate step
    - Icon and POI name are never displayed on the map even if selected during the importing procedure

but.....

the .mca file contains the correct coordinates as boundaries but then places the POI at 0° 0° . The reason why Nav crashes is presumably because I only have the Italy_ta map.
    No matter what I do to the POI coordinates it always get imported as 0° 0° despite the boundaries are correct

I think this is a bug in DIgger, as if the file or cell format in excel were unappropriate the boundary wouldn't be calculated correctly.

Has anybody else had the same troubles?

Thanks

Adriano
  • I installed Navigator 11 FREE and tried to import the POI files
    generated with digger. This does not work, I get the message "You have
    installed new Maps, which are not supported ba the application:
    Filename, please install new version." The import worked with Navigator
    10 FREE.

How can this be solved?
  • Hello all, Importing with digger works however there are several things you have to watch out for. I use a excel import it seems to work best for me. Durring the import in the Object appearance assignment mask you need to double click on the object style icon and change the values for  scale factor for detail zoom and minimal scale factor under icon to bigger values I found 20 and 50 to work for me but it also depends on the icon.

@vijayashreeMsc where and when did this message come up?

Hope I could help

Regards Chris
  • @vijayashreeMsc import for version 10 do not work in version 11. You need to re-import them. The warning message in Navigator 11 was misleading (fixed in 11.0.13 - it will say that you have older data)
    Martin
  • Hello, 
    still no clues for my little problem....? pleasepleasepleaseplease....... 
    [-O< [-O<   [-O<
  • you need digger for v11 - did you try it?
  • Hello tomas, yes I did,  I have version 11_110712. Will it work with fee and commercial versions?

• ok, so that doesn't seem to be the reason. As a matter of fact, I cannot import POI's from either comma separated text or excel spreadsheet, there must be something wrong, either in the format of the input data, or in the way the output file is generated or read by navigator. Having an input  excel file that did work for someone else, as well as an imported file that is read by navigator could help may be. I can give my email if necessary.

Thanks

Adriano

• I think there must be something in your file which prevents import
    you could email it to support-at-mapfactor.com
  • Tomas, we are currently discussing it with Adriano directly ... one issue was invalid ICO file used for import icon. When it will be solved we will post here result, thanks
      Martin
    • Hi, I have installed in my car's GPS Navigator 11, and wanted to get him the ticket poi restaurant on its website is to download a csv. Try using the mdx diggerqt says that it is neat, but at the last step, when saving in the short, step 3 of 5, stops working demo and close.I tried to run windows 7 WindowsXP professional and, if the diggerqt can not run on some, but still fails at the same time.What I can do?And sorry for my English so bad.Thanks.Nuria.
  • Hi Nuria,
    thanks for your report and the test data you sent me by email. The problem was related to encoding of CSV file. Please convert it to UTF-8 (you can use converter like http://www.download3k.com/System-Utilities/File-Disk-Management/Download-Simple-Text-Encoding-Converter.html ). Please add also the first descriptive line like lat,lon,name,id
    thanks
       Martin

• Hello.

Could you please fix the links to digger, no one is working right now.

Thanks.

• Hello Galonet,
    thanks for reminder - I updated the link for digger version 10.1 (the same executable as it was before), but for version 11, here is newer (with newer Qt):
    http://download.mapfactor.com/digger_11_0_27-2_exp111111_c3502dbced.zip
    Let me know, if there is any problem
      thanks
          Martin
    Edit:
     persistent link for version 11.x: http://download.mapfactor.com/digger_11.zip
  • Hello Martin,

I just imported arround 15k poi`s and have not found any problems.
    The only trouble i had was with the excel import of the GPS cordinates. Excel 2007 when importing the numbers converted everything to another number format and the import did not work. Once i changed the excel import to text only everything worked like a charm.

Thanks for the Great Program
    Regards
    Chris
  • Thanks martin,

Workin fine here.

• Hello Martin,
    I have tried the version digger_11_0_27-2 (as reported on september 26) with a xls file and also a csv file. On the second page the "next" button does not activate. The Log-file reports the following entries:

ERR 2011/11/17 23:35:24 XPathNode: can not access source file: E:\MY_POI\import\Rome\digger_config.xml
    ERR 2011/11/17 23:35:25 XPathNode: can not access source file: E:\MY_POI\import\Rome.mca\digger_config.xml

Regards

Mario

• Hi,

sorry, "next" button does not activate on window "Object appearance assignment", so I have to "cancel".

Apologize.

Regards.

Mario

• Hi,

I´m very happy with the Navigator 11. Connection with my old Garmin gps 128 was no problem.
    Now I´m trying to import the Garmin gpx file download in Navigator11, but it seems that I ran into the same problem as Mario did when using DiggerQT No next button.

Regards
    Gerrit

• Hello Martin,

In addition to our ( DiggerQT No next button ) challenge:

I first copied all the digger_11_0_27-2 files in C:\Archivos de programa\Navigator11\downloads\Data\images\

After running digger I got the next errors in the log:

ERR 2011/12/02 12:53:04 XPathNode: can not access source file: C:\Archivos de programa\Navigator11\downloads\Data\images\import\test\digger_config.xml

ERR 2011/12/02 12:53:04 XPathNode: can not access source file: C:\Archivos de programa\Navigator11\downloads\Data\images\import\test.mca\digger_config.xml

ERR 2011/12/02 12:53:28 Exception thrown: .\src\filedriver\ArchiveCursor.cpp(31)
    ERR 2011/12/02 12:53:28 Exception mpfc::exception& ex caught: .\src\mpfc\PictureReader.cpp(30) message:'mapFactor exception: ArchiveCursor: file 'C:\Archivos de programa\Navigator11\downloads\Data\images\poi.mca\style_10.03075.png' not found in archive 'C:\Archivos de programa\Navigator11\downloads\Data\images\poi.mca''

etc.

I couldn´t find any style_*.png files or digger_config.xml

Maybe it helps to save our problem.

With regards

Gerrit

• Found IT:

In the diggerQT List of object types double click the cell in the Style column.
    Add an ico of png file to the ico file name.

With regards

Gerrit

• I have been using navigator II for a while and am very impressed with the results. For a continuing project it has very few glitches. However ya'll know that my reason for writing is one of them. Been toying with "digger" and can create .mca files without a problem. But the files are sitting in the digger import folder and I don't know what to do with them to make them work with Navegator II. Could you please make some step by step instructions for me on how to proceed from this point?
  • Hi smocpec,

Just copy the .mca file where poi.mca is located and navigator11 will pick up your POI´s up automatically (when you zoom IN a bit you will see them too). C: Program Files  Navigator11 downloads Data images

Cheers
    Gerrit

• Did just what you recommended and it worked without a problem. Now could you point me in the right direction for adding icons to the poi? I shrunk a png file and tried it during the digger process but can't see it with the poi name. Don't know where to try next. Any help would be appreciated.

Gratefully

Phil 

• Hi Phil

As far a I (newbie) know and expierenced by myself is that when you use an ico  95 x 95 it will be good visible. But when you want also a text too be shown, Navigator will put the text over the ico. So I have choossen for just an ico with one (backgroundcolor) so you can see the text better. I have only one ico for the comlete poi list. I would be great to make different poi groups with different ico´s in one poi file. But I´m knowligde wise not that far yet.

Regards

Gerrit

• Hi,
    First thanks for this greate free ware!!!
    But one question:
    Where I can download diggerqt t oimport own POI databases, or exist any other solution to import own POIs?

Thanks

mowenta
  • O.K. I found it , thanks for this.

If I will import a gpx file witg digger, it works, but if I select multiple objects determined by data of column" and I select for any column a specified icon, I got the error during running the import:

[Step #5 of 5] : put objects into the graphic entity files...

Error: Cannot copy the file 'D:/GC/digger/ICONS/earth.png'.

Error: Cannot copy the file 'D:/GC/digger/ICONS/event.png'.

Error: Cannot copy the file 'D:/GC/digger/ICONS/multi.png'.

Error: Cannot copy the file 'D:/GC/digger/ICONS/tradi.png'.

Error: Cannot copy the file 'D:/GC/digger/ICONS/mysterie.png'.

Error: Cannot copy the file 'D:/GC/digger/ICONS/default.png'.

1 icons copied.

In the map is displayed only the text, but no PNG.

Thanks in advanced

mowenta

• Hi
    When I import POI with digger I notice that there is no support for the Swedish characters " ÅåÄäÖö", there are some otter signs instead. Is there someone who have an solution to my problem?

Roleno

• Hi Roleno,
    is your source CSV file or something else? Do you have it in UTF-8 encoding?
    regards
       Martin
  • Hi  mdx

My source is CSV, but they where obviously not  UTF-8 encoded. Wen I did that it works fine.

Thank´s for a fast answer Roleno

• Hi,

where can i download this digger Software for the import of the POI into navigator free.

Forget it. I found it.

Thans

FUB
  • Struggling a bit with digger are there any docs ?
  • ERR 2012/07/07 15:04:03 XPathNode: can not access source file: C:\Users\Peer\Downloads\digger_11\digger_11_0_47\import\test2\digger_config.xml
    ERR 2012/07/07 15:04:03 XPathNode: can not access source file: C:\Users\Peer\Downloads\digger_11\digger_11_0_47\import\test2.mca\digger_config.xml

got this, by importing a .xls.
    Is there sombody who can help?

• @Ferien:
    ... you found these messages in the "digger.log"-file ?
    This seems to be an normal behaviour of  diggerQt.exe creating these messages if you select "Create new import" ... Just ignore them ...
    The mentioned digger_config.xml file will be created later by executing diggerQT's "Save configuration and run import"-function ftom the "Run import" dialog
  • Digger download link is dead. Is there an actual one?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion