Switching installed maps
  • Ok,
    I'm new to Android and very new to Navigator (the free version) but I
    have managed to download the map for Canada which seems to work fine but
    I also downloaded a map of Morocco (I will be visiting there soon) but
    can't find out how to switch from the Canada map to the Morocco map and
    can't find any instructions or help files.
  • 9 Comments sorted by
  • if map is downloaded then you will see it, no need to switch anything
    just check in Map manager/download maps
  • Andy44, your problem seems to be the distance between Canada and Morocco.
    Zoom out until you see Africa (like a view from space) and than zoom in to Morocco. The details there will appear ;)
  • I'm
    confused. When I do as suggested by 'hurdygurdyman' the whole of North
    Africa is the same, a few towns and major roads but no detail.  I had
    assumed that by downloading the specific map for Morocco I would be able
    to navigate around Moroccan towns (I'm only really interested in
    Casablanca and Marrakesh).  This does not seem to be the case though,
    the map of Morocco is no better than the rest of North Africa for which I
    have no maps downloaded.
  • please check that maps have been downloaded
  • Please do a search: country Morocco (if it is available) and then Marrakesh or Casablanca, then city centre and select show on map.
    If you only have Canada and Morocco and you start the search option you should immediately see the available countries and be able to search.
  • Thanks for that advice, I can at least see a map of Marrakesh now.  I guess I will have to wait until I get there to see how well it works for finding my way around.
  • Sorry that my suggestion didn't help you. I took a deeper look to the map based OpenStreetMap-data and it seems that Casablanca and Marrakesh are pretty detailed compared with other african Towns.
    Casablanca: http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4072985#map=12/33.5767/-7.5874
    Marrakesh: http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2799538#map=12/31.6284/-7.9812
  • Many thanks for the help, this is all very new to me but I think I'm getting the hang of it now.  Anyway I will always have my fall-back option, a paper map and a compass.  
  • You don't have to wait until you are in Morocco to see if it works. No matter if your GPS is enabled or not, just zoom in over a Moroccan city and check if you can see any street. If you do, then the Morocco map is properly installed. No need to switch anything. Installed maps are loaded automatically according to the cursor position. 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged