GPS Satellite 'Fix' problems
  • I have just returned from 2 months touring Western USA using Navigator Free on an Archos 80 tablet running Android 4.0.4.

I have been most impressed and think the interface far superior to the PC version.

I did experience a few ‘glitches’ with routing but these were almost certainly due to errors and omissions in Open Street Maps.

The TomTom (TeleAtlas) maps seem good value and I will down-load these before my next trip.

One problem I did experience on about four occasions was an inability to get a GPS fix.

I realise that signals can be shielded by vehicle body work but even when I took the unit outside where there was an uninterrupted view of the sky it was often many hours (often overnight) before I could get a fix. I tried closing and restarting both the tablet and then just Navigator, but without success.

The GPS info screen would display a number of satellites (maybe up to 5 or 6) but these refused to ‘lock’and the number of satellites listed below remained zero. What do the colours (orange/yellow/green) on the bars signify? I realise that there is a minimum number of satellites requires for accurate navigation, but how many is this?

As I write this (in UK) I can now see only 2 satellites bars: number 4 which alternates between yellow and green and 31 which is slightly higher (stronger signal?) and remains solid green. It has been like this for 15 minutes.

I wondered whether there might be a problem with my hardware so installed a separate GPS tester. This immediately displayed 10 satellites and was ‘using’8 of them. I closed this down and checked Navigator again and now have 7 satellites! This could of course just be a coincidence.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced the same phenomenon.

• 2 Comments sorted by
  • I have also seen the problem whereby it is not possible to lock to the GPS even though the satellites are displayed and a lock is indicated.  I have used the following reasonably successfully:-

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2&hl=en

It is often necessary to download/reset the A-GPS data to promote a fast lock and this tools seems to accomplish this.

To answer your question, " I realise that there is a minimum number of satellites requires for accurate navigation, but how many is this?"  try reading this link:-

http://www.gpsinformation.net/main/gpslock.htm

I have no idea if the info is correct but I hope this gives you a feel to the complexities of the GPS system.

Thomas, I am also interested in the meaning of the colours, you asked, "What do the colours (orange/yellow/green) on the bars signify?" so Thomas, is there any chance of an answer to this question?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged