Disable waypoint/routepoint in route after passing it
  • Feature Request:
    I was last week on holiday on Jersey (one of the channel islands) and now in Brittany, France. I make a lot of 5-12 point "touristic, sight-seeing" routes" (mostly from routeconverter). I use the Android head unit in my car. When I switch off contact the head unit closes all apps. Upon switching on the contact, the unit "wakes up" and opens Navigator again. 
    However, Navigator wants to start the route again from the beginning, which is of course very annoying. I have to remember which point I already passed and have to switch off those points.

Please make it so, that when you have passed a waypoint/route point, that waypoint/route point is disabled from the route. In that case, when continuing the route from my "switched off/on" head unit, or even a phone where Navigator was switched off (or crashed), it can continue the route with the next active route point.

And as a side remark: Apart from the above mentioned annoyance, Navigator did again a wonderful job the past 1½ week on all these routes and destinations (, even though I am constantly on betas as I'm a test user on the beta channel). Thanks again for the app.
  • 8 Comments sorted by
  • Hi Harry, I am not sure about this, how would we know that you want to continue route instead of start again?
  • @hvdwolf  - I use Navigator 95% of time the same way. Use Routeconverter as well and most of my routes are between 20-40 waypoints, some even more than 60.

A lot of times I stop navigation half way, sometimes switch off as well. I restart navigation  with no problem. All passed waypoints are cleared and navigation starts calculation to the next unclear waypoint. 

Actually I made a point to  go to "Routes" ->  "Delete All"  every time before loading a new route as I've experienced the opposite problem a couple of times . That is, it kept the old unfinished route and had the new route as well. You can imagine my surprise and frustration when it kept taking me the wrong direction.

Your request in effect is there. 

One issue I experienced a few times, and not sure whether is my device or not, when stopping for 20-30 minutes and leaving the Navigator on, running, after start moving again I found that I loose gps signal ( 0 satellites). Only way to recover the situation is to switch off and on and start navigation again. Hence now making a point to "Stop Navigation" if stopping more than 10 minutes ( I am glad that the passed waypoints stay cleared   :)
  • @tomas - do you mean the way mine works is wrong? I hope not!
  • I had a problem in "the other direction":

I passed a waypoint ("Zwischenziel erreicht"), stopped the Navigation and after a while I started again. There where no "ticks" in the waypoints until the reached waypoint (thats correct!) AND the waypoint after it (that I did NOT reach by navigation before!)
  • I have the same experience as Stavrich. All passed waypoints are still cleared after restarting mapfactor and alsoe after restarting the phone. Perhaps It has something to do with your head unit????

Stavrich also mentions a second point: The active route is not allways cleared when a new route is loaded.  This seems a little bug.
  • there you are, everybody wants something different :-)
  • @tomas - don't change anything - Sometimes I stop 2-3 times for half an hour or more and STOP and START navigation. It picks from where left and carries forward to the next waypoint [even after restarting the app to pick up gps signal].  Its perfect for me and I can live with the bugs  (2nd and 3rd issue)  :)  :) .  

I think @mes could be right about @hvdwolf  's head unit.
  • @stavrich: I know what you mean. That is exactly why I described it like I described it. My android unit in the car is switched off and on contact switched on again. That is the same as your "Actually I made a point to  go to "Routes" ->  "Delete All"  every time before loading a new route as I've experienced the opposite problem a couple of times . That is, it kept the old unfinished route and had the new route as well. You can imagine my surprise and frustration when it kept taking me the wrong direction."
    The point is that when you stop half-ways, Navigator stays in memory even if the phone is in sleep mode. Android car head units by default kill all "unnecessary, not system related" apps before going to sleep. That includes navigation apps (actually every app not necessary to keep android running). This is done to prevent some ill-behaving app to drain the battery if you leave the car for 2-3 days which keeps the rest of the head unit (amplifier) also awake.

@tomas: When you say: "Hi Harry, I am not sure about this, how would we know that you want to continue route instead of start again?"
    How often does that happen? If the route is halfway, stops, and then suddenly, when I start my car again, I'm back at the beginning? That doesn't sound logical. If you want to drive the exact same route again (again: how often does that happen?), you can easily re-enable route points or simply load the route again.
    I think it is quite easy. When you reach a route point, Navigator already mentions "route point number x reached". It is an event Navigator recognizes and uses. It is very easy to use that same event to disable the just passed route point (after 10 seconds or so?).

Finally, when talking about "everyone wants something else": Make this a setting. OsmAnd has this also as a setting. It would be a simple "if" statement: If setting "disable waypoint/route point after passing"=true then ....
    One user could leave the setting empty, another (being me :) ) could enable the setting.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged