Told to go straight when need to take turn
  • Hello,

When navigating from (Latitude: 49.8417716, Longitude: 8.13060299) to (Latitude: 49.8435428, Longitude: 8.13111797) the route tells to go straight, even though one needs to take a turn. Apparently, the navigation system believes that the main road continues to the right. This is surprising, since OSM clearly says that the street continues to the left and that the street to the right is the branch. This is confusing, because unless I look at the map the voice instructions will lead me to believe that I should remain on the current road.

Here is a screenshot of the route:

These are the route details:
  • 5 Comments sorted by
  • I can confirm this behaviour at several other places. I think I mentioned it some very long ago here too, but it wasn't heard
  • If you look at OSM data, you find, that there is a small triangular traffic island. You even find it on the map of Mapfactor. In order to pass this island on its right sight you seem to have to go straight ahead a couple of meters (no left or no right turning of the steering wheel at that point). Of course, the road bends to the right direction shortly afterwards. If you turn right earlier, you may end in the green banket of the road.

If you want to follow the main route (B 420) and you want to avoid to hit the island, you have to turn (slightly) left at the same point where you have to go straight, if you don't want to follow the B 420.

So the question is: should Navigator announce, where you finally end up or should be announced, which steering action is necessary at a certain given point? I wonder, if there is an answer, which satisfies everybody.
  • Hi Oldie,

In order to pass this island on its right sight you seem to have to go straight ahead a couple of meters

Is this really how MapFactor works? Are you a developer of MapFactor? Why does MapFactor not take into account that I'm leaving a road? It should be fairly easy to implement to give instructions "turn right" or at the very least "hold right" whenever I'm leaving a road.

So the question is: should Navigator announce, where you finally end up
    or should be announced, which steering action is necessary at a certain
    given point? I wonder, if there is an answer, which satisfies everybody.

The answer to that is clear: it should tell you where you end up. Because this is what every other navigation system does and because anything else is confusing for the driver.
  • It happens more often.
    If you pass a crossroad with separate lanes and you need to turn left. It will first say to go straight on, and then to go left once you crossed the first lane (which you are not allowedto turn in).
    If you drive  fast enough, maybe in your example, you don hear the second one.
    If you drive slow enough, maybe on the crossroad with separate lanes because the traffic light just turned green, you can hear it.

Navigator does this, some other nav apps don't. Maybe these apps recognise these separate lanes as one road, or they have something like "if two roads but less then 10 meters apart ...." 
  • I have a similar problem. Here are 2 small routes to demonstrate it.

Start point of both is (in the Netherlands):
    53.009718N 6.486509E.

The first goes to:
    52.989814N 6.489255E.
    The second to:
    52.993269N 6.485569E.

The distance is about 15km.

Simulating at the slowest speeds demonstrates at best the problem.

My old iGO program from 2008 gave me IMHO the only correct warnings:
    to take the second road (at all distances from the point and the real turn).

Shortly I will start a discussion about that old program, what the user could
    do to personalize the program and what could may be done in MFN.

Regards,
    knibja

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion