Detour strangeness
  • Hi, this year, in Killarney National Park I came across a bit of strange behaviour shown by Navigator.

The path for walkers and cyclists goes along a large loop, and a pony trekking path cuts straight across that loop.
    Whoever put that one into OSM, marked it as open to pedestrians (which may be legally correct, but is factually nonsense - ankle deep mud and large, much more than ankle deep puddles).

Somehow Navigator insisted that I took the shorter pony track - and kept insisting until (on the long footpath) I was about ten metres away from the spot where both paths joined again.

Bug or feature?
  • 8 Comments sorted by
  • This is an OSM question. Why to blame Navigator? When it's mapped as free for pedestrians, it's only correct that Navigator wants to use it.

But next time you encounter a similar routing problem, pause navigation, select the wrong path on map until it's highlighted, then in map menu choose edit --> block. Restart navigation.
  • you can also use Detour option - press screen for 1.5s during navigation
  • Sorry - I didn't express myself well - the classification of the pony path is of course an OSM option.

I was just wondering why Navigator kept insisting that I turn back, even when going back and the along the pony path would have been ten times as long as just proceeding.
  • ...oh, and thanks to both of you for those hints - I didn't know about either of those options.
  • Additional question: is there any way to upload a screen shot from my PC? The only option I see is "Enter URL", but I've never bothered to create my own web site.
  • Unfortunately you need to upload your pics to some host and link them here using the image button.
  • Addition to the addition:

Back in July I changed a tag for the Pony Trekking Route to "foot:no" - I just checked in Potlatch 2, and in the Simple View this translates into "Pedestrians - Prohibited".

Even so, when, using the Pedestrian profile in Navigator, when I have it calculate a routing from just south of...

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/362305686

...to just north of this "Ring/River Walk", Navigator sends me along the Pony Trekking Route.

What went wrong, here?

• I've just taken another look at the Route Setup.

Can it be that "Other Road" simply means just that - i.e. that the tag "prohibited to pedestrians" is not read at all?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion