Two issues/requests
  • Hi, I just started using Mapfactor free GPS navigator on Android.
    The app seems nice, but I quickly found two annoying issues, I hope you can help me with.

I find it rather annoying that the app keeps running in the background, even if I close the app using Androids 'latest apps'. It's not an antivirus software that needs to run continously.

In Tools -> Record/Replay/Manage GPS files: I can see (manage) a logged route, but I miss statistics. A recorded route without statistics isn't worth much to me.

Best regards, Makro
  • 6 Comments sorted by
  • to close Navigator you need to click the Exit button
    statistics may be available in the future, please be patient
  • Next to what Tomas mentions: don't forget to disable  "check for new maps". Otherwise a mini part will keep running to check for new maps.
  • Maybe you are looking for too much from a navigation app, a one size fits all perhaps. There are other (also free) apps which are much more suitable for recording displaying and analysing GPS tracks and routes, even cross-country (off road). I use Navigator for car and bike and a second app which has free topo maps for walking, track recording and statistics (Oruxmaps find it on the playstore), which by the way doesn't do turn by turn navigation or route planning. Hope this helps.
  • Of course Oruxmaps knows turn by turn navigation and/or route planning. It is not as nice as Mapfactor though. Together with the app "brouter" Oruxmaps knows even to navigate on waterways. That is, why I use Oruxmaps for cycling (with maps from openandromaps, OSM as well) and other outdoor activities. But for car navigation, Mapfactor is first choice.
  • Hi guys.

Thank you for your fine and quick replies.

I have disabled "check for new maps". I just have to remember to update maps manually once in a while.

Roldorf, you looked right through me. Yes, I was looking for a one size fits all. I will find another app for my additional needs. I also need track recording and statistics, and a "what's my position" with sharing feature.
    I will prefer an app that don't require large maps to be installed, as this will cause me to
    have MapFactor maps and another app's maps installed. One set of maps must be enough ;-)
    I will look into the app you mention, in Google play store.

Tomas, as you can see, I have provided you with additional feature requests. I know it's easy for me to simply ask for features, but at least that informs you of user needs.

Thank you for your help!

• Hi Oldie I have never tried orux for navigation, I thought it only warned you when you were off the loaded track by a pre-set distance or when you were approaching a way-point. The only thing which annoys me is the redraw speed of the maps, which is fine for walking but not for cars.
    I only ever use Navigator for route guidance great POI's speed warnings, radar much easier all round for navigation even on a bicycle. I turn off the screen put the phone in my front cycle bag and listen to the instructions.
    Makro you have the option in Orux as in navigator to store the offline maps on the external SD card, (not as easy to setup as navigator) you can also move the app to the SD card, however you can't use the record track widget if you move the app.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion