GPS drops connection - wine on ubuntu 14.04
  • I am trying to set up Navigator free to run on ubuntu 14.04.  I've got as far as setting up the GPS unit (HOLOX BT 321) almost successfully...

I have created the com port via bluetooth manager which shows that it is successfully connecting.  When I go to set up GPS within the app, it tells me I need to reconfigure the port.  When I do, it tells me that it has auto-detected the GPS on com1, 57600 baud.  I select this and it reports my location, height & number of satellites.  When I move onto the next step it drops the connection, tells me GPS isn't connected and sends me round the loop again, auto detecting on com1...

Is there something I am missing here?
  • 13 Comments sorted by
  • may be baud rate is incorrect, please check with Holux and amend it manually
    my guess is 4800 or 9600
  • Thanks for the suggestion, tried various baud rates all with same effect!
    Always shows 57600 auto and displays same info...
  • may be to do with BT connection?
  • All works perfectly under Windows, just peeved at how long Win7 takes to boot up, thinking of running netbook on Ubuntu.  This is the only stumbling block!

I can leave the GPS connected to ubuntu itself without any problem.  When I try to connect as described then the problems occur...
  • may be timing problem?
  • Tomas, could you explain more please, or leave a link to a page describing the potential issue?

• You can try to update to the latest wine version using commands:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

and to find solution of your issue is good to run navigator using command line:
    wine 
    .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Navigator14\PC_Navigator\PC_Navigator.exe >> navigator-wine.log

It will generate log where could be description of problem.
  • Hi Lubos, thank you for the advice!

Had problems getting it to run from the command line, i tkeeps asking for a product key!  Any tips?
  • ... may be you  have called PC_Navigator without any command-line params ??

.. for example :

--atlas='C:\users\Public\Application Data\Navigator\atlas_pcn_free.idc' --window_border='no' --window_position=100,100,1024,768 --nohires

• Thank you, that cured it!  Hasn't solved my issue, behaves in exactly the same way as previously!  Doesn't create a log file but puts output to the terminal window:

steve@Harold-ubuntu:~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files (x86)/Navigator14/PC_Navigator$ wine ./PC_Navigator.exe --atlas='/home/steve/.wine/drive_c/users/Public/Application Data/Navigator/14.1/atlas_pcn_free.idc' --window_border='no' --window_position=100,100,1024,768 --nohires >> ~/wine_nav.log
    err:ole:CoCreateInstance apartment not initialised
    fixme:comm:set_queue_size insize 1024 outsize 4096 unimplemented stub
    err:ole:CoCreateInstance apartment not initialised

Any offers before I give up?

• Lubos, you are a star, thank you.  Please forgive my missing this - am a newbie with wine / ubuntu, my unix experience is in a more commercial environment...
  • @Hippy_1914Steve
    ... try to check the  GPS-connection with this tiny tool :
    NMEA Monitor
    ( it is for WINDOWS but it runs well under wine with my usb-connected GPS unit )

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged