GPS drops connection - wine on ubuntu 14.04
  • I am trying to set up Navigator free to run on ubuntu 14.04.  I've got as far as setting up the GPS unit (HOLOX BT 321) almost successfully...

I have created the com port via bluetooth manager which shows that it is successfully connecting.  When I go to set up GPS within the app, it tells me I need to reconfigure the port.  When I do, it tells me that it has auto-detected the GPS on com1, 57600 baud.  I select this and it reports my location, height & number of satellites.  When I move onto the next step it drops the connection, tells me GPS isn't connected and sends me round the loop again, auto detecting on com1...

Is there something I am missing here?
  • 13 Comments sorted by
  • may be baud rate is incorrect, please check with Holux and amend it manually
    my guess is 4800 or 9600
  • Thanks for the suggestion, tried various baud rates all with same effect!
    Always shows 57600 auto and displays same info...
  • may be to do with BT connection?
  • All works perfectly under Windows, just peeved at how long Win7 takes to boot up, thinking of running netbook on Ubuntu.  This is the only stumbling block!

I can leave the GPS connected to ubuntu itself without any problem.  When I try to connect as described then the problems occur...
  • may be timing problem?
  • Tomas, could you explain more please, or leave a link to a page describing the potential issue?

• You can try to update to the latest wine version using commands:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

and to find solution of your issue is good to run navigator using command line:
    wine 
    .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Navigator14\PC_Navigator\PC_Navigator.exe >> navigator-wine.log

It will generate log where could be description of problem.
  • Hi Lubos, thank you for the advice!

Had problems getting it to run from the command line, i tkeeps asking for a product key!  Any tips?
  • ... may be you  have called PC_Navigator without any command-line params ??

.. for example :

--atlas='C:\users\Public\Application Data\Navigator\atlas_pcn_free.idc' --window_border='no' --window_position=100,100,1024,768 --nohires

• Thank you, that cured it!  Hasn't solved my issue, behaves in exactly the same way as previously!  Doesn't create a log file but puts output to the terminal window:

steve@Harold-ubuntu:~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files (x86)/Navigator14/PC_Navigator$ wine ./PC_Navigator.exe --atlas='/home/steve/.wine/drive_c/users/Public/Application Data/Navigator/14.1/atlas_pcn_free.idc' --window_border='no' --window_position=100,100,1024,768 --nohires >> ~/wine_nav.log
    err:ole:CoCreateInstance apartment not initialised
    fixme:comm:set_queue_size insize 1024 outsize 4096 unimplemented stub
    err:ole:CoCreateInstance apartment not initialised

Any offers before I give up?

• Lubos, you are a star, thank you.  Please forgive my missing this - am a newbie with wine / ubuntu, my unix experience is in a more commercial environment...
  • @Hippy_1914Steve
    ... try to check the  GPS-connection with this tiny tool :
    NMEA Monitor
    ( it is for WINDOWS but it runs well under wine with my usb-connected GPS unit )

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged