cannot search for town in norway but it exists in osm
  • Hi all

Using osm maps for norway I had problems searching for Bjørkelangen. The town exists in osm and when I manually search in the map for it it is existing as well. At least when I click on info button I get the name but in the map itself it is not visible and as mentioned I cannot search for it.

Could you please help?
    Best regards and thanks in advance.

Radi
  • 5 Comments sorted by
  • Mapfactor sometimes has problems with UTF-8 (or not, not clear to me yet) characters like ø.
    You can't even find Købnhavn or Copenhagen or whatever in the danish map. At least not with my settings.
    I have seen this more often.
  • Hm but does this explain that in the map the name is not written on the town as well? Br radi
  • In this case it has not to do with the ø.
    Bjørkelangen is part of Aurskog-Høland. I can find that. When I search for streets in Bjørkelangen using Aurskog-Høland,  like the Rådhusveien or Markveien I do find them.
    The reason is probably that
    Bjørkelangen does not have a village node describing it. It does have an admin boundary though.
    So again, I think it needs an OSM village node which I just created. Please check again after the next map generation. Probably the new maps have just been generated so you need to wait until the "end of August" map.

Edit: This is the newly created node: http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=9198316885
  • @hvdwolf - thanks for OSM editation - you can find it in new Norway map (20140814, with Early maps access), but be aware of mentioned of 'ø' problems - if you do not have it on keyboard it is necessary to write it as in German 'ö' = OE

I checked original village boundary:
       https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/229980655
    and it had only name and landuse=residential. Current conversion requires boundary=administrative for city/village boundaries ... are there many other villages mapped similar way?
    thanks
       Martin

• I completely overlooked the missing boundary=administrative. I saw the way around Bjørkelangen and was so convinced that that one also contained the boundary that I did not even check.
    Added the boundary now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion