Importing POIs as My Places or ?
  • Hi all,

I have just started to try Navigator and it is looking very good.

I would like to add my lists of POIs and generally manage the many I have been collecting for my trip across South America.

They are all in csv format, but I can convert them into anything if there is already a tool.

Otherwise, I see that the file is just xml, so I will create my own converter tool. But I hate to re-invent what already exists.

I have just downloaded the Windows version, so when I leave this cafe and have more time, I will do more exploring.

But any advice is welcome.

Peter
  • 6 Comments sorted by
  • Thanks, I am downloading it now and will check it out when I get back to the camper.

Peter

• Well, so far not so good. My csv file reports as all data is banned. Banned? OK. That's a useful message.

So I used a gpx file and it imported my 140 paragliding sites where I will be travelling. Imported to Navigator and it shows up in the Imports tab. But no points in it when I open it. Hmmm.

All I really want is to create custom favourites.xml for my Android.

As I can't find any documentation for DiggerQT to explain what it is looking for, or sample files, or even a readme.txt in the zip. I think I will write my own. It will be faster.

Looks like a very flat xml file with lat/lon in milliseconds, if my eyes don't deceive me. I will add that to my own POI management tool. Probably take 10 minutes. Then I will be able to extract out of all my POIs the ones within a fixed radius of where I am, or plan to be, which is what I like to see when I am driving along the road.

I will make a few different favourites.xml to copy to the device on different days. Seems much easier than fighting with the general purpose tool.

Perhaps there is a need to be filled here.

Peter

• Did you get anywhere with importing as "My Places"?    I was able to use Digger to import as POI's. I agree that it's a bit of a cryptic tool - it took many searches in the forums here before I could get through the wizard at create the MCA file.
  • Mike, yes it only took a few minutes to create a favourites file of My Places. Much less time than it would have taken to figure out Digger, I think.

Now I make different files for different days and just swap them on my Android Nexus 7 as I need them. Also lets me extract the POIs I have added to My Places into my own POI system on my laptop.
  • Do I have to download navigator to pc and use debugger, before I can export to mobile device?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged