Routing function
  • Hello,
    I am not an expert on the whole subject, but my general question is:
    Is Navigator Free designed to operate as a routing programm as well. Is it possible, to transfer a gpx file to the smartphone and then follow it by bike or foot?
    If so, what is the best way to plan such a trip? I do know that e.g. "Komoot" has a homepage on which you can easily design your tour on you computer and then convey it to your smartphone which then guides you to everywhere.
    To plan a (eg. bike) trip on the smartphone maps by adding waypoints is not convenient.
    Thanks in advance.
  • 6 Comments sorted by
  • Hi Chrissi,
    yes, just copy a GPX file to folder navigator/gpx on your Adndroid device and then you can display/replay it.
    regards
  • This sounds cool!

I have created a GPX file in Komoot and placed it in the folder you suggest, but I cannot see how to display/replay it!
  • in Tools/Replay
  • Hi Tomas
    That's great !

Chrissi1973 wrote:

"Komoot" has a homepage on which you can easily design your tour on you computer and then convey it to your smartphone which then guides you to everywhere.

I can view the GPX route that I have created as you suggest above but cannot work out how to create a navigable route as Chrissi implies.

Am I missing something?
  • you are not missing anything, it cannot be done at this moment
    may be if you import GPX, I am not sure
  • Converting the Komoot gpx file into a format that is compatible with Navigator can be done with XSL translation. It is not 'rocket science' but was not that easy to achieve. However the real problem is the number of individual points that Komoot generates. On a simple journey of only about 5 miles it required more than 250 sets of co-ordinates. It's a bit like trying to draw a circle with a ruler using an infinite number of straight lines. Including that many waypoints in a single route caused Navigator to crash!

I was able to achieve the same route on Navigator using only 3. If I had customised the preferred road parameters for bicycle like I have for my motorhome I might only have needed a departure and destination.

Komoot does include elevation at each point which is particularly relevant for cyclists and for a journey profile a multitude of datum points is necessary.

I do understand where you're coming from Chrissie: "To plan a (eg. bike) trip on the smartphone maps by adding waypoints is not convenient." However importing every point is not the right way either. If you import the GPX coordinates as mentioned by Tomas, select the departure and destination in Navigator, tell it to calculate the route and see how close it follows your track. You may have to add a few waypoints until they match but it should not be that inconvenient.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged